Sweater Progress and Lean Mean Weaving Machine

/, New Items, Other Yarn Crafts, Scarves and Cowls, Silk Yarn, Sweaters, Weaving/Sweater Progress and Lean Mean Weaving Machine

Sweater Progress and Lean Mean Weaving Machine

Well, well, well. I hope your week is going GUH-REAT!

I have news.

So I’ll get right to it!

β€’ SWEATER PROGRESS

I am finished with the body of my cardigan! Woo HOOOOO!! In case you missed my last post about this cardigan, I am making the Dark and Stormy Cardigan by Thea Colman using my superwash merino wool in colorway GLASS BLUE. Supposedly I’ll need 6 skeins, but we shall see. (Sorry for the blurry iPhone pic!)

dark and stormy cardigan progress

I am loving it, truly, so far.

Thoughts and notes:

-I did a squiggle rib at the bottom. HOW does one do a squiggle ribbing, you ask? Well, just do a regular 1×1 rib (assuming you’re working flat, not in the round) and for each knit stitch, just knit it through the back loop instead. BOOM. You’ll get a cool, squiggly looking ribbing like this. You can see I carried down the 2×2 ribbing from the cabling.

squiggle rib knitting

-Speaking of the cables, aren’t they SICK? I know. I love them too.

dark and stormy cardigan thea coleman

-This is going a wee bit slower than usual because it’s a tighter/smaller gauge. But that’s okay. It’ll get done. Time to do the sleeves!

β€’Lean Mean Weaving Machine

That’s what I am now. Oh, yes.

I ordered in a 25″ Schacht flip loom from Paradise Fibers (10 dpi heddle) and it arrived yesterday!

I ripped open the box, forgot the rest of the world existed and immediately began weaving… (The green yarn is my Sea Jade silk)

weaving loom excitement

schacht flip loom weaving

weaving on the schacht flip folding loom

woven fabric on the schacht flip folding loom

AWWWWWWW….

It’s beyond fun.

And so FAST!

I love this loom. I love it. I love it. I love it. And it folds up for easy carrying!

Did I mention I love it?

I’ve never tried weaving because…

I never really liked the look of woven fabric. GASP!!! Blasphemy!!

I know. I know. I am a changed woman and now I ADORE it and have so many projects in mind. I can’t wait to use my hand-spun!

WOOP WOOP!

β€’Yarn News

-So what is this lovely beaded, rainbow yarn I’m using? HA! I thought you’d never ask.

It’s a new silk yarn I’ll be listing soon and it’s TO DIE FOR. Any name ideas?

beaded silk yarn for sale

-I dyed up a bunch of Glass Blue this morning in worsted weight (like I’m using for my sweater) if you want some and keep missing out:

worsted weight superwash merino wool yarn

-I listed a ton of new shades yesterday, if you wanted to poke around the site, including new yak-silks!

That’s all for today!

I have a sweater to finish, a scarf to finish and Harry Potter to watch.

TTFN!! Ta ta for now.

XOXOXO

P.S. This is what my yard looked like yesterday:

fall leaves

This is my view today:

snow in alaska

It snowed. πŸ™‚

By | 2017-09-04T14:05:03+00:00 September 18th, 2013|Knitting, New Items, Other Yarn Crafts, Scarves and Cowls, Silk Yarn, Sweaters, Weaving|19 Comments

1. Justine Arrasate Lloyd September 18, 2013 at 8:21 pm - Reply

I LOVE your new loom! Something I’ve always wanted to do as well, so I am going to be checking them out when I go to the yarn festival next month!! WOOO HOOOOO!!!!
    I love you new sweater as well……progress on my first knit sweater jacket is moving right along. I have the back done and half way done with the left front! I am SEW excited!!!

LOVE your snow! It is so nice to be cooped up on a snowy day doing what we want to do, in our jammies, sipping cuppas, and watching good movies! Have fun! Justine

2. Trish Carpenter September 18, 2013 at 8:47 pm - Reply

The sweater is looking GREAT!! You are an amazing knitter! I have the itch to weave — only thing missing is a loom! Ha! There is a fiber festival in my near future, I may have to get one and call it my birthday present!! Happy weaving and knitting!

3. Wandalea September 18, 2013 at 8:57 pm - Reply

How about Fractal for the name of the yarn? I can soooo relate to the photo of your excitement & joy when you opened the loom box.

4. Jilly September 18, 2013 at 9:01 pm - Reply

The sweater looks brilliant..course you have a lovely frame to model it on. I’m over-awed by the loom; the weaving is looking great.

The new silk thread looks like the shadow from a stained glass window. How about Cathedral Window or Tiffany as name suggestions?

5. Jacqueline September 18, 2013 at 9:03 pm - Reply

Enjoy your new loom, it looks like a lot of fun.
    There is no better way to spend a snowy day than doing the things you love.
    You’ve inspired me start knitting sweaters again – lately it has been little projects for instant gratification but I’ve realized anticipation is half the fun!
    Blessings – Jacqui

6. Colleen September 18, 2013 at 9:07 pm - Reply

I just adore those cables down the back of your sweater!! The design really makes them POP!!
    Have fun with your new toy, uh, I mean “Business Expense”. πŸ˜‰

7. Stephanie Hayes September 18, 2013 at 9:33 pm - Reply

The Loom is GREAT!!! How does it work??? It looks incredibly hard, but I love the look of weaved stuff!!! πŸ™‚

8. Lisa Schofield September 18, 2013 at 9:57 pm - Reply

Love the weaving, I’d like to try it at some stage. What will you make when you are finished? You could call the yarn hundreds and thousands (like the sprinkles on a cake) or candy crush.

Lisa πŸ™‚

Ps cardigan is looking gorgeous, I love the squiggle stitch πŸ™‚

9. Lisa Schofield September 18, 2013 at 9:59 pm - Reply

Trish and Justine, Check your local weaving guild as sometimes they let you hire looms to learn on.

Lisa πŸ™‚

10. Ginny September 18, 2013 at 10:02 pm - Reply

Chandi, I’m trying to get up the nerve to try the sweater pattern. But for now I am still whipping out woven triangle shawls with my home grown wool. Anyway, I’m loving this loom you got. Did you get the package deal, loom, stand and carry case? If you are using the loom on a table, is it a back killer? I’m going to look for it at the NYS Sheep & Wool Festival next month. If I can’t find it, I guess I will go with Paradise. They have some amazing deals. Happy Weaving!!! Can’t wait to see what else you create.

11. Jess Anne September 18, 2013 at 10:48 pm - Reply

The sweater is amazing. Love the yarn color. The new yarn is great too. How about Happy Swirl? The colors are just plain cheerful. Love to read what you are working on. You inspire the rest of us!

12. Mary September 18, 2013 at 11:12 pm - Reply

Enjoy your weaving it looks easy love your new sweater I need to start mine after this weekend. I am going down to see my brother in NY and I will bring back goodies.

13. Sherry September 18, 2013 at 11:21 pm - Reply

Oh Chandi!!!! You are SO INSPIRING!!! Now, I’m all hyped up to order a loom for myself….I’m thinking early Christmas present to myself!!! LOL Love the sweater. I may have to make one myself with the glass blue yarn that I ordered from you a couple of weeks ago!!! Happy Knitting/Weaving/Dyeing!!!

14. Yvonne September 19, 2013 at 3:36 am - Reply

Chandi!
    Pulling up your fb page/blog everyday is like opening a present! I can’t wait to see what you’ve been up to, your excitement is contagious, you’re funny and your personality just jumps off the screen!
    Love the sweater progress, it’s looking great. Now you’ve got me wanting to try weaving, but like others, I may have to make that either a Christmas or birthday present to self.
    Oh, how’s the wedding planning coming along? Blessings to ya!

15. Karen Wolk September 19, 2013 at 7:47 am - Reply

So THAT’S where the silk yarn went!!!! I’ve been looking to buy it because of a pattern I’ve come across that calls for silk yarn and want to use a solid colorway. Shame on you! LOL πŸ˜€

You’re sweater looks wonderful!

I’d call the new colorway you are using….Somewhere Over the Rainbow. It’s glorious!

And your loom makes me want to buy one too! AAACKK! Hope your wedding will be fantastic, just like you are. Did you settle on Maui or Hawaii? I know we all want pictures. And WHERE is the picture of the RING!!!
    LOVE ya bunches!

16. Bonnie September 19, 2013 at 12:58 pm - Reply

Your pic of you opening your loom made me lol! I would have done the same!

17. Marseille September 19, 2013 at 6:36 pm - Reply

I got a Schacht Cricket a little over a year ago, and it’s fantastic. I totally get where you’re coming from. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Knitting’s still my real love, but weaving is good for a little quasi-instant gratification.

And–have you tried houndstooth? Super-easy, and looks like it’s way harder than it actually is!

18. Kitty September 19, 2013 at 11:17 pm - Reply

The cables you worked on the sweater are so incredible I love it, can’t wait to see the finished product.

And what Bonnie said about your loom, that’s the way I feel when I get a package from you. Woooo hoooo! The loom is interesting, I’ll have to see how you play with it some more to see if I’d like to jump in. πŸ™‚

19. Jan McIntyre-Ba September 20, 2013 at 3:26 pm - Reply

I think you should call that yarn “Stained Glass Symphony”. It looks gorgeous!