♥ ♥ ♥
“Of all the earthly music, that which reaches farthest into heaven is the beating of a truly loving heart.”
~Henry Ward Beecher~
As it’s the day to celebrate love, and this is a knitting blog, I wanted to share with you the reasons I love knitting. But first, a story of how I came to knit…
I was driving along one day with my mom and sis and saw the neatest little yarn shop with such a cute window display. Although I had crocheted since I was 9, I had never successfully learned to knit. I had always wanted to, but it seemed too difficult.
One day, the allure of the shop enticed me in and I purchased a bundle of yarn. I went back a few days (maybe weeks) later and purchased $432 of yarn. *gasp!
And then more. And then more. And then more. I scoured YouTube and Google to learn how to knit. I bought more yarn. My knitting improved. I bought more yarn.
I bought a spinning wheel. And roving. And more yarn.
And the rest is history. I have literally more yarn than any 10 people could use in their lifetimes. It’s crazy! And delicious. And I love it.
The truth is, I had always assumed the only available yarn in the world came from Wal-Mart. When I discovered the endless rows and piles of merino wool yarn, not to mention alpaca and baby alpaca, llama, bamboo, milk, corn, silk and cotton yarn…
My entire world shifted. I was hooked.
Since I had just gone through several crafty adventures over the past few years, all of which petered out (scrapbooking, polymer clay and jewelry making), I was at first worried that I would tire of knitting.
But nay. 3 years later and I love it just as much as Day 1, if not more. I can see myself knitting and spinning for the rest of my life and loving it.
And as for crochet, I do enjoy that as well. I’ve crocheted since I was a girl and spent so many years doing that, that mostly I tend to lean towards knitting these days. But I love both; as well as dyeing and felting.
WHY I LOVE KNITTING – There are many reasons I love it, but I’ll just list a few of my favorites.
1. It’s productive and I thrive on achievement. If I’m not accomplishing something, I feel like I’m wasting my time.
2. It’s creative. I love getting to pick out the colors for a project. I adore searching the internet for hours (usually Ravelry) for the perfect pattern or idea to knit. I love putting all the pieces together in my head and creating something gorgeous.
3. It’s relaxing. (Most of the time!) Is there anything more delightful than being curled up on a rainy day by the fire with your knitting?
4. It’s impressive. I make things and people say, “Wow! That looks professional!” Well, of course! 🙂
5. It’s magic. I can take two sticks, some yarn and make sassy, sexy, sweet clothing and accessories. That makes me happy. 🙂
6. It’s romantic. Romantic in the sense of reminding me of times-gone-by, when women had to knit to clothe their families or to earn money. It makes me feel a connection with my grandmother and all my great grandmothers before her.
7. It’s gratitude-inducing. In line with the previous reason, I realize I don’t have to knit. I get to. And that makes me thankful. I’m thankful for the time and strength and energy and mental capacity to do this wonderful, fulfilling craft.
8. It’s exciting! The endless possibilities of yarns and colors and textures and patterns… egads! So thrilling. It’s enough excitement to keep me happy forever!
I truly love it. ♥♥♥
The only thing that ever made me truly sad about my knitting was not being able to share it with more people, so this blog has cured that. And I’m thrilled to share all of my dyeing, spinning, knitting, felting, crocheting projects with you.
So thank you for reading. I appreciate it more than you know.
I hope you enjoy your Valentine’s Day with the one you love. I know I will. I’m so thankful to have a handsome, intelligent, thoughtful, giving man that treats me like a princess. You mean the world to me, Love, and I’m thankful each day for you. I love how talented you are in so many areas, but that you’re so modest about it. You’re so loving and giving and have truly made a positive difference in my life; helping me to be a better version of myself, just by being you. And isn’t that what an ideal relationship should be? I believe so. I love you, boo. Have a perfect day! XOXOXO!!