Campside Cardi – I finished knitting a sweater!

Oh My Goodness. Welcome! Thanks for popping over!

Here, have a coffee and sit a bit as I have some things to tell ya!

First, let’s talk about this gorgeous sweater.

1. No, it’s not my design. It’s Alicia Plummer’s Campside Cardi. This pattern was a pure joy to knit. Took me a couple weeks. Fairly straight-forward. Easy to memorize sections. Not too boring. Nothing complex. Really, my type of pattern.
    2. I used exactly 3 skeins of my Alpaca Silk Dk yarn in colorway: Pewter. Pewter is a warm toffee gray. Perfect for those of us with golden, warm skin. I love knitting sweaters in neutrals because they just go with everything, ya know? I made size 33 and it has a bit of negative ease. Meaning, it’s too small on purpose.
    3. It was a hilarious and cute rumply mess before blocking. But blocking made it grow tremendously, lay smooth and look professional. This is why I love natural fibers.

campside cardi before blocking

Look how that smoothed out and grew!
size-large

Campside Cardi Knitted Pattern in expression fiber arts Pewter Alpaca Silk Dk Yarn

I admit, this was my first sweater with this yarn base. It’s so soooooffftttt. You can be sure I’ll be wearing this all fall and winter!

It never really gets cold enough here in Charlotte for a coat, but sweaters, YES.

And now for the less than fabulous news… After I finished this sweater, I went into full-on frenzy mode. Iย neededย another project immediately. I had so enjoyed making this that I wanted to cast on another sweater asap.

I downloaded a pattern. It was too complex for my tastes. Downloaded another. Didn’t have the yarn. Decided to improvise and use Sport weight yarn held double to try and make a Dk weight. (It doesn’t – it’s thicker.) So here I was with double-stranded, too-thick yarn on thin needles and the pattern called for these crazy cables right away.

Andd…. my hands started to yell at me immediately.

“Naw, I’ll be fine! I’ll go slow,” I said.

One row in, I ripped it out and decided not to work the cables. I’d do stockinette instead.

But the yarn was still too thick for the needles and I was in a weird frenzy rush toย produce.ย  I really get a kick out of finishing things but when it comes to knitting, that’s not usually the point. The point is to knit.

I managed to finished the shoulders and separate for the sleeves… and then. OUCH. My arms started screaming at me to stop. Icy hot pain was shooting all up and down my hands and arms.

And so here I sit… unable to knit. In truth, it’s hurting to type, but I’m going slowly and wearing wrist braces.

And this has happened more times than I can count. Just with knitting. And only with certain knitting. Usually if the yarn is too tight on the needles, causing me to shove and shove.

Or if the yarn is super non-stretchy. Cotton yarn is particularly offensive to my hands.

After years of this happening over and over, I have finally realized something (I think.)

My knitting method (which is continental) might be good for sprint knitting. Small bits. Here and there. It’s speedy. But not so good for long-term, marathon knitting. I could be wrong. Please tell me I’m wrong.

So here are my questions:

1. What knitting method do you use and have you ever experienced pain from it?
  2. If you haven’t experienced pain, then YAY! Describe what you do so we can all copy.

Hurrah! I am thinking of trying flicking (yes, it’s a method!) once my hands have sufficiently rested. My friend Gemma knits that way and loves it.

And I need to learn to sloooowwww downnnn in general. Knitting is not a race. Knitting is not about production. It’s about… knitting.

As my friend, Amy, put it last Saturday at brunch, “Knitting is supposed to be slow.”

Ahhhh. Yes.

Here’s to slowness. And patience. And days of rest spent reading books since that requires very little hand movement. ๐Ÿ˜€

We’ll chat soon.

P.S. I want to apologize for not blogging in ages. AGESSSS. Let me tell you why. My blog has been wack. I had somebody “fix” it up years ago and they didn’t do a great job. The pages took forever to load, the styling was off. It would just disappear on random days. My hosting and security companies kept asking for more and more and more thousands of dollars each year to maintain it. And still, I would wake up on many days to find the entire blog either missing or files gone, etc.

And then I hired Robin at Codeable, who is even NOW working on the blog and has fixed so many issues, moved me to a much better, safer and vastly-cheaper hosting and security solution. The stress that has lifted off of me is incredible. I love it when people know what they are doing. So expect more blogging from me! (Thank you, Robin!)

By | 2017-09-06T23:37:07+00:00 September 5th, 2017|Finished Objects, Knitting, Sweaters|64 Comments

1. Kim September 5, 2017 at 8:30 pm - Reply

I just saw the Dr about the.very thing today! Carpel tunnel release surgery is in my future.๐Ÿ˜Ÿ
    Please don’t let your symptoms go to long like I did. I may have permanently injured the nerves.

• Chandi September 5, 2017 at 8:33 pm - Reply

Oh gosh sorry to hear that! I hope your surgery goes smoothly and that you heal rapidly!

• Valerie J September 5, 2017 at 10:25 pm - Reply

Chandi.. have you ever tried the new square needles? I just ordered a set from knitpicks.. supposed to be easier on the ands/wrists

• Petrina Mazzeo September 25, 2017 at 6:05 pm - Reply

This is so cute!

2. Erika September 5, 2017 at 8:38 pm - Reply

I’m a beginning knitter and have tried throwing and continental. I like the traditional method better. My hands do not hurt and it could be due to the fact that I sort of slide the yarn to tip and use one finger to swing it over.

• Erika September 5, 2017 at 8:41 pm - Reply

I actually just realized that I do the “flicking”!!!

3. Becky September 5, 2017 at 8:39 pm - Reply

I learned the continental style by watching your video. I am a crocheter as well and for years I had wanted to learn to knit but couldn’t. You gave me the advice of getting very pointy needles which I am so happy I invested in. I can actually knit now lol. I would love to know if the flick method works for you. Good luck. Thanks for all your help. And all you do.

4. Cassandra Liggett September 5, 2017 at 8:44 pm - Reply

Thanks for the sit and the coffee. Cute sweater, good job.
    I have Fibromyalgia so all of my knitting and crocheting have to be paced and cannot be done every day. I also use continental and can only go for 20 to 30 minutes at a time before my body starts screaming at me and I have to do something else. I can crochet for longer as long as it’s a fairly easy pattern to follow and I am not working on small stitches.
    I usually have to have arm braces on during the day, and it has effected the way i stitch. I had to teach myself how to tension all over again so that I wasn’t keeping things too tight Thankfully it was only a matter of where I held my yarn on my fingers. I used to keep it back near the palm but now I keep it at a interlaced diagonal angle rising up.from the base of the pinky to the tip of the index finger and no loops.

5. Robin September 5, 2017 at 8:46 pm - Reply

Take a break from knitting ( I know you don’t want to hear that) . And give your hands and arms a chance to rest. I knit continental too, and sometimes my wrist hurts. Go slow & rest. You will be fine. You’ll see. Love your yarns. ๐Ÿ’“๐Ÿ’“๐Ÿ’“๐Ÿ’๐Ÿผ

6. Margaret September 5, 2017 at 8:47 pm - Reply

ya CRPl tunnel is from repetitive motion. its worth getting it checked out Chandie

7. Eileen September 5, 2017 at 8:50 pm - Reply

Slow down…I get terrible pains in my hands wrists and shoulders if I’m not careful. I have arthritis in my hands so where knitting is good for them, I cannot strain them. I don’t work with cotton unles I absolutely have to. I make sure I sit in the best chair possible and make sure that I take a break every once in a while.
    Love the sweater…

8. Valerie Mizgalski September 5, 2017 at 8:51 pm - Reply

I’m a Continental knitter (50 years), but I’ve been attempting to learn Portuguese. Supposedly less hands movement? Maybe it will help??

9. Freda September 5, 2017 at 8:53 pm - Reply

I find I grip too hard if I use metal needles, whether knitting or crocheting. I do better with plastic or bamboo needles. My hands don’t bother me as much with them. I throw my yarn. My stitches were way to lose when I didn’t. Hope your hands feel better soon! Yay! For people who know their stuff around websites!

10. Stephanie September 5, 2017 at 8:53 pm - Reply

Yesterday, I did a marathon knit to finish a birthday blanket. I had been avoiding it because it has been too darn hot, but deadlines are deadlines. Today, I can barely hold the needles.

This happens to everyone who does marathon knitting sessions, just like experienced marathon runners are often sore the day after a marathon.

Here is how I generally avoid painful hands and wrists:

I knit both ways. Continental AND flick. However my tension is different for each method so i stick with a single method for a project. Luckily, I have a short attention span so I generally have multiple projects on needles. For larger needles I flick, small needles or DPNs I use continental.

Days that are really bad, like today, I design.

11. Pam Caruso September 5, 2017 at 8:57 pm - Reply

Chandi, I am a thrower… I can continental knit but I cannot purl continental my left index finger is permanently swollen, so I only do English style because my knitting looks wonky if I continental knit and throw purl. I understand feeling the pain of knitting but mostly my problem is my hands always get so cold when I knit…what is with that??? Doesn’t stop me though… I just run ’em under hot water, thaw ’em out…and carry on… I am knitting socks now…and it is not MY yarn of choice my niece chose the yarn by the color not the fiber… Your yarn is My yarn of choice, yours doesn’t split easily, it doesn’t ruff up…it doesn’t unply ( is that a word) and it is not resilient…I think these socks should only be hung on the fireplace mantle at Christmas…cause they may not be wearable when it is all said and done. But I will finish them regardless…I can’t just walk away from them…

12. Wanda Palinkas September 5, 2017 at 9:00 pm - Reply

wow that link looks wacky, time consuming and stressful on the hands!

I do a type of flicking but I put my thumb under the needle so it stabilizes the needle and I have my fingers all close to the tips of the needles to control the stitch flow. The flick is short and quick (with the yarn coming over the index finger). Works like a dream for me.

If you like I can send you a pic

Hugs

13. Christina September 5, 2017 at 9:02 pm - Reply

I knit continental, and the only time I get pain issues is when I’m tense to begin with and am clutching the needles for dear life! That generally settles in my shoulders, though. Otherwise, all is well. OH, and if I’m using straight needles and find myself moving around and sitting funky to avoid the arms of my chair (which always reminds me why I don’t like using straights)

I do keep trying to flick, but haven’t gotten the hang of it yet, and am too into a current WIP to take the time away to practice. One of these days…

14. yolanda v September 5, 2017 at 9:03 pm - Reply

Hey Chandi,I can sympathize with you. I got a repetitive motion injury about a month ago and I’m
    still not 100%. I knit or crochet before work, I work on the computer 100% for my job, then after
    work, I knit or crochet. Weekends I garden big time! So yes, I’m a little crazy, but learned the
    hard way to pace myself and take breaks. I’m also a continental knitter, so if I have to do
    lots of purling I usually do those by flicking, then go back to my continental style.
    Sweater is beautiful. And be kind to your hands… Easier said than don, I know. But you don’t want
    worse damage…
    xo

15. Julie Gervais September 5, 2017 at 9:09 pm - Reply

Hiya Chandi! I’m sorry your knitting got painful. I agree it is supposed to be relaxing, fun and rewarding but as my husband constantly reminds me “you’re doing it for enjoyment not production”. I’m a thrower and have experienced a few different types of pain while knitting but not like yours. Mine tends to build up a nice hard knot in my right shoulder that makes my arm and hand go numb. Some resting time with moist heat, ice packs and massage usually do the trick. It’s hard not to pick up my needles until the pain goes away but I don’t want to begin disliking something that brings me so much joy. I sneak a little crochet in while waiting to heal andmthat gives me enough fiber time to keep my soul happy. I did find that a nice blend of sesame oil, eucalyptus oil and rosemary oil does wonders for muscle aches. I make my own and rub it into my hands and shoulders when I’ve gotten crazy with the knitting.

• Chandi September 5, 2017 at 9:28 pm - Reply

Great tips. Thank you, Julie!

16. Samantha Tushaus September 5, 2017 at 9:11 pm - Reply

I’ve had wrist problems since before I started knitting & crocheting. Some was relieved by surgery, but I’ve still got tendonitis to contend with. I just make sure I stop when I notice the pain, and I wear braces every night. I don’t have a solution in terms of how to knit/crochet, but wearing the braces makes a HUGE difference! And it’s really important to stop when you feel pain.

17. Joy September 5, 2017 at 9:18 pm - Reply

Have you tried the Portuguese method? I’ve been eyeballing it for some time now, but between raising young grandkids & neurotic dogs, while needing/using a cane, haven’t been certain that having longer strings to get us all tangled in, as well as being quasi attached to my person! is a good choice, currently!! O.O
    Really looks like a lot less hand/wrist/forearm strain, though! Good luck & *more ice*!

• Chandi September 5, 2017 at 9:28 pm - Reply

Joy, I’ve dabbled in it, but might try again. Thanks!

18. Francine September 5, 2017 at 9:47 pm - Reply

I’m also a thrower. Have attempted Continental a couple of times but my tension is all over the place. I’ve had carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand already and will probably need to get the left done at some time. I now knit slower and take longer breaks. I find if I’m doing the type of knitting you describe – the “shoving” thing for too long I get Tennis Elbow problems. It can be frustrating because like most of us I have several projects on the go and more lined up. I’ve also been eyeing off lessons for Portuguese style. Chandi just take it easy for a while – we shouldn’t suffer for our craft.

19. Addie September 5, 2017 at 10:12 pm - Reply

Hi Chandi.

I’m going to have give this a try. been knitting forever, and find there’s always something new to learn/try out there. I have had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists, and also have had surgery to release trigger finger in several fingers in both hands. I’ve been knitting since I was 6 (I’m almost 65), and crocheting since I was 10. AND I’ve been a keyboard warrior (programmer type) since my mid-twenties so my hands have had their share of wear and tear.

I wear stretchy fingerless compression gloves at night that help relieve some of my hand discomfort. These were prescribed by my hand surgeon, but I found a link to the same gloves on Amazon (looks like they have to be ordered separately for each hand) . I find them soothing.

20. Carol Fitzhugh September 5, 2017 at 10:13 pm - Reply

I have been knitting in excess of 63 years, starting with English (throwing). After watching a 30 second TV commercial when I was 16, I switched to what I thought was Continental, since yarn was held in the left hand. In recent years, however, I have learned that my style, picked up intuitively and with no instruction except that commercial, is actually Russian/Eastern European. The purl stitches are worked differently from Continental and the mount is reversed from both English and Continental. I figured out for myself that ssk in written directions means k2tog for me, and vice versa
    The style is much easier on the hands, and though I have osteoarthritis is my knees, I have never had a problem with my hands. The only source of pain for me from knitting is working too long without breaks, and too long means several hours at a stretch.

21. Gini M September 5, 2017 at 10:20 pm - Reply

I knit when I am sitting in my recliner and my arms are supported by the sides of the chair. Your arms may hurt because the muscles in your neck and upper back may be inflamed and pinching nerves. I knit English and probably always will. I can no longer just hold the yarn in my right hand unless it is thick, so I wrap the yarn in my right hand as if I was using my left hand to crochet. There are exercises to do to help relax your hands and ice will help with the pain. I sometimes get pain in my hands and fingers, but that is usually because I am having a Lupus flare. I had to remind myself recently that knitting is not a speed contest. It’s hard not to want to knit fast so that you can move on to the next pattern and all the exciting, beautiful yarns that you, as well as others have available.
    Chill for a few days, take some ibuprofen, if you are ablevand ice your hands and back.

22. Crystal Scott September 5, 2017 at 10:21 pm - Reply

Chandi I’m a thrower. I’ve tried using the continental method because they say it’s faster, but …..no.
    My hands hurt when I do it that way, I think because I grip everything too hard. But with throwing, I don’t have that problem and my tension is better. I’m very rarely in a hurry to finish anything (I have a quilt I’ve been working on for six years!) but I do normally knit every day. Take your time and enjoy!

23. Gail Bresser September 5, 2017 at 10:23 pm - Reply

I knit Continental and had pain after just a little while. I now have the Cubics interchangeable set, and I love It! I can knit for literally hours. The yarn “scoops” off the needles easily and the whole process is much more enjoyable now. I also crochet but don’t have the problems I do with knitting.

24. Pat Austin September 5, 2017 at 11:31 pm - Reply

Sounds like repetitive trauma. Go to Dr. Do not wait too long. I โค๏ธโค๏ธโค๏ธYour yarns. And your sweater is gorgeous–well done. Take care of you.

25. Andrea Duck September 5, 2017 at 11:46 pm - Reply

I knit continental, and only occasionally get cramps in my pinkie and ring fingers. I will look into flicking…

26. Dawn Donaldson September 5, 2017 at 11:55 pm - Reply

First the cardigan is beautiful. Second marathon knitting is no no. I have seen on ravelry people who have had to complete stop knitting because they are injurying themselves

I am a thrower, I did take a class at a my LYS a few months back. I got the knitting but the purling was just to foreign for my hands

There are several conditions. If you can identify which one then you can look to see if there are any temporary treatments before you see a doctor. Antiflammatories live Advil or Aleve may help short turn as will heat or ice (use which ever makes it feel better)

One is Carpal Tunnel. Even with 25 years on computers I escaped this one. If you think this what is wrong see a doctor. There are things that can be done that will keep it from getting worst

The next condition is arthritis. I had bone on bone osteoarthritis in my left hand that ultimately required surgery (because I couldn’t quit my job). A lot of women get this. It affects the joint that is about 1″ below the last knuckle of your thumb
    This can be controlled for a while with cold/heat and soft hand braces which stabilize your thumb but you can still knit. I still use mine on occasion. More so in winter ( I live in Minnesota)

However when I retired I did a knitting marathon since I had not knitted for so long. I woke up one morning with a frozen shoulder. It took me 10 days to work through the pain and getting the shoulder to unlock. I now get cordisone shots in it to prevent that from happening

What I discovered was that if I sat in any chair but my sofa (which has a high back in the corner my shoulder started to seize up again

Also it could be tendinitis which really just requires rest

I know you hurt a lot but when things start to calm down a little, think about seeing a doctor.

Ask some of the knitters in your area if they can recommend a good orthopedic who is a hand/arm specialist.

Lastly I tend to steer away from large projects on small needles (no less then a 5). My fingers start cramping and my knitting sessions have to be shorter

So take it easy an the pain will hopefully start to ease up

27. Karen September 6, 2017 at 12:11 am - Reply

OMG! I just watched the video and that’s how I’ve been knitting since I learned how a few years ago. I didn’t even know this was a thing! And here I had been thinking I should learn to hold the yarn in my left hand….

28. Deb B September 6, 2017 at 12:26 am - Reply

I’m a flicker and have always been. I’ve tried other methods but there has never been enough “hand motion” for me to make it comfortable for very long. I’ve never been able to get the hang of crochet – guess my brain doesn’t work that way. After 30 years of working as an Admin Assist I’ve learned three things: 1) carpal tunnel is avoidable if you rest your hands and arms by not doing the same motions all the time (computer typing is one of the worst as you only move your fingers slightly and they don’t get the exercise the “old fashioned” typewriters gave you); 2) one of the best rests you can give your hands is to sleep with them slightly elevated – hubby isn’t too keen on this one as it means having a pillow between us for my hand to rest on, but it works; and finally, 3) take a deep breath and slow down a little – I know most days its hard because you want to get X number of things done each day but, Chandi, we all want you around for a very long time and in GOOD HEALTH ! ! !

29. Phyllis Webb September 6, 2017 at 12:51 am - Reply

I knit Continental only. Once in a while, my wrist and arms with hurt. I just ease back on time spent. Wear a wrist brace and let it heal. Probably the reason I don’t have that much trouble is because I knit slow. It maybe the best way, but it takes soooo long to finish a big project.

30. Sylvia September 6, 2017 at 1:38 am - Reply

Hi Chandi,

I do knit continental and my hands do not hurt. On a day off I have knitted for about 8 hours and did not feel pain. Don’t know if you consider that already marathon. ๐Ÿ™‚

31. Vivian September 6, 2017 at 2:02 am - Reply

I only knit with cables because knitting needles make me hurt very quickly. Arthritic is not friendly. I try to work on different weight yarns each project and vary the project; sweater, shawl, hat, cowl, afghan, etc. Also, the complexity; lace work, garter stitch, easy repeat pattern, even crochet, etc. My daughter suffers terribly and is looking into the Portuguese style of knitting. Looking for one of the hooks to pin to her shirt to hold the tension on the yarn and relieve some of the strain on the hands. Keep the hands mobile. Stopping stiffens them.

32. Ann September 6, 2017 at 3:24 am - Reply

Hi Chandi, I took knitting lessons about 10 years ago . And the I injured my shoulder. Rotator cuff tendinitis. Then I couldn’t knit anymore. It just hurt to much. I did PT, but then reinjured it. Anyway PT wasn’t helping again. Then I went online and did some research and found a book on pressure point massage. It explained how interconnected the nerves and muscles are all the way from your back and shoulder to your arm and hand. And shows different massage points to help different areas. It helped me _so_ much! I still use it when I get stiff and get knots. I’m knitting again and loving it. Not trying to sell you on anything but you might want to check it out. Sorry I didn’t mean to write so much! Take care and I love โค๏ธ your yarn.

33. Emily September 6, 2017 at 4:26 am - Reply

No matter what knitting style is used, it can still cause injury because of the repetitive motion. The best things I have found that help are keeping elbows supported and taking breaks to stretch fingers, arms and wrists.

34. Branka September 6, 2017 at 5:39 am - Reply

Hi Chandi,
    Cardigan is awesome! Great job there! I do agree, it’s not too complicated, not too simple, just great pattern. One thing I do found with mine so far that it slips off my shoulders too easily, not a big deal, just something that I wish I know how to do differently if I ever knit it again.
    As for the pain, I do have 2 pieces of advice, beside obvious of make time for breaks…
    – look at your shoulders, I do lift my shoulders, completely unintentionally. I have to remind myself to lower my shoulders every so often
    – I knit either in chair that has arm rests to support my elbows or on sofa almost laying on my back, I think for that same reason.
    I am sure you have good needles, however I would look into different ones, just to give your hands a break. Also, your needle tips are maybe too short or too long for the project. I also found that fixed circulars are sometimes best, even if I love my interchangeables, for some projects.
    I use metal and knit continental and it gets hard on hands when material gets heavy (sweater).

35. Sonia September 6, 2017 at 10:19 am - Reply

Interesting. I have always knitted the English way, even though it was my Italian grandmother that taught me. A big difference to everything I have read above though…..is that I tuck the right hand needle under my armpit and it doesn’t really move, then I simply knit onto it with the left using the English or throw method. I occasionally get pain through my shoulders, back and neck but only when I have been knitting for hours and hours on end night after night. I never have pain in my hands, wrists or arms. I have been knitting this way for about 30years. It is a fairly fast method too.

36. Rashmi September 6, 2017 at 11:28 am - Reply

Awesome cardi.. Would love to try it. It
    Looks amazing โ™ก

I dont have an alternate method as such, for knitting. But i do however almost always try to keep a crochet and knit project side by side and make it a point to alternate between the two. Givent the difference in the way i hold my needles and the way i hold my hook.. My fingers wouldnt experience cramp,nordoes my wrist feel weak (carpel tunnel).

Thia almost always helps in my case.

37. Jennifer September 6, 2017 at 12:15 pm - Reply

I created my own former crocheted hybrid. I put my yarn and active needle in my left hand and do all the work with the right needle. I have been knitting about a year and I haven’t switched back to crochet since I started (I crocheted for about 35 years)

38. Danielle September 6, 2017 at 12:32 pm - Reply

I see a chiropractor for me tendinitis. I get pinched nerves in my wrists, elbows, shoulder or neck when I knit too tight or too long. I knit close to 40 hours a week. Posture causes it sometimes. Typing too much causes it. At first I went twice a week to teach my muscles to hold the bones where they belong. Now I go as needed which is anywhere between 4-8 months. I have to make sure not to hunch over when I am concentrating on a pattern. People do not realize that carpel tunnel can be caused by more than pinched nerves in your wrists. I am so greatful to have found a good chiropractor. So much cheaper than surgery and no down time. Knitters stretches help too. I hope you find a solution that works for you!

39. Keira September 6, 2017 at 1:39 pm - Reply

Hi Chandi, I was a thrower and started to explore different methods in order to become a more efficient knitter. I tried to shift my method to continental/German, which if mastered seems likes the obvious choice for those wanting to knit quickly, however my left hand just couldn’t adapt. I then started flicking, and while it took me a good few sessions to get a hold of, once my brain adapted I became a very satisfied, happy and comfortable flicking knitter. It’s not as quick as continental but it’s way more efficient than throwing and is comfortable for hours on end. In fact, flicking has prompted me to purchase more of your stunning yarn and comfortably attempt more of your beautiful patterns. โค

40. Kristy Birchfield September 6, 2017 at 3:03 pm - Reply

This has happened to me too and I knit English style. I’ve noticed it tends to happen when I have a deadline and not only am I knitting a lot but I am knitting faster than I usually do. Have you tried Portuguese knitting? I was told to try it and even bought a knitting pin but to be honest I never got further than that lol.

41. Charlotte September 6, 2017 at 3:11 pm - Reply

I am a continental flicker (I wrap the yarn around my needle quickly the way right-handrd flickers do instead of “picking”) I find this greatly reduced the movement in my wrist and shoulder in both hand so I can knit for longer since there is less stress on my joints. The only time I get sore is when my tension is too tight. A quick wrap of yarn around my pinky to give me more tension without having to clamp my fingers together so much to hold onto a slick yarn is usually all I need to alleviate it. Hope this helps!!

42. Melissa September 6, 2017 at 4:08 pm - Reply

I have found that I have this problem when my yarn is too much for the needles (when I’m trying to get a really tight gauge and knit). If I use a bulky yarn on large enough needles, no problem. It’s just when I’m trying to use more yarn than the needles want. This causes stress in my hands. This kind of sounds like what happened to you. Try knitting something else that is looser and see what happens.

43. Linda Creager September 6, 2017 at 5:42 pm - Reply

Try to find a method where your movements are very small. I had to do that because I had lots of pain. I have neck issues as it is. I don’t go for speed but I am not slow either. I hope you feel better soon.

44. Karin September 7, 2017 at 5:51 pm - Reply

I hate when my body works against me like that, so I totally feel you. I’ve got compression gloves that have helped me so much. Didn’t think theyd make much difference, but they do. Also, rubbing Deep Blue (from doTerra) helps. Something else that’s made a difference is wearing a brace while you sleep.
    Good luck. Hope you’re back to crafting soon.

Love the cardigan.

CopperJoint Arthritis Gloves #1 Copper Infused Compression – GUARANTEED To Speed Up Recovery & Relieve Symptoms of Arthritis, RSI, Carpal Tunnel, Tend https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D111I8W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_7zk6GqetG9Z3B

45. Kitten WAW September 8, 2017 at 7:58 pm - Reply

I see that you are possibly on the tail end of Irma’s path. I hope you are prepared and safe. Will be praying for all throughout.

46. Melanie September 9, 2017 at 3:07 am - Reply

Russian knitting and no pain even after knitting a lot during a day.
    Norwegian purling and sometimes the skin at the tip of my index hurts a bit if I’m not careful when doing it. But that’s about it.

I tried differend methods and those were the best I found for me.

47. Angela London September 14, 2017 at 8:36 am - Reply

I hope it doesn’t get as bad as mine was – had to have steroid injections into the ligaments ๐Ÿ™ Side note – love your cardi blocked!!!

48. Kinna McGuire September 14, 2017 at 4:37 pm - Reply

Gorgeous cardi! Thanks for the pattern reference.

for your August/September giveaway, I finally subscribed to your email after following you on FB and Insta for quite sometime. Your colorways are gorgeous!

49. Heidi September 15, 2017 at 2:46 am - Reply

I throw because it makes my carpal tunnel worse to do continental, and when I try flicking…well I just can’t figure it out and it looks like I have never knitted before! I want to knit faster so badly, but my tension is nice and even and no wrist problems with throwing, so fine.

I want to second others who said that having carpal tunnel worked up is worthwhile. There does become a point when you get permanent damage, and the surgery is very minor.

50. Lori Parsons September 25, 2017 at 4:10 pm - Reply

Hi Chandi!! What a fantastic giveaway….thanks for the chance ๐Ÿ˜Š I love to knit because it’s great therapy, it keeps my mind occupied and off any troubles I may have!! I love giving knitted items such as socks, caps, mittens, scarves to charity every year!! Makes me feel great knowing I’m helping others…the things you can create with yarn are endless….Good luck to all who enter!!!

51. Nancy Santiago September 25, 2017 at 5:15 pm - Reply

I love the look of this cardigan. I’m a beginner knitter and i think I use the continental technique. But i do know I found it more comfortable to use circular needles than straight needles.

52. Kathy Hunter September 28, 2017 at 8:14 pm - Reply

I love your blog! I am self taught in all kinds of fiber crafts, knitting, crochet, weaving and i have a spinning wheel and a desire to learn to spin but I haven’t accomplished that yet but will soon begin working on that too. I retired in March of this year and now have time for all those projects I’ve put off for years. I will be checking in here often.

53. Cheri November 7, 2017 at 10:02 pm - Reply

Just using circular needles made a world of difference. I was also diagnosed with carpal tunnel and the DX was WRONG! I have plain ordinary arthritis in my right wrist. I am a “British” thrower. I am completely right handed and couldn’t do continental at all. I also had to learn to crochet differently so that I don’t constant do the wrist motion. Between circular knitting needles and changing the way I crochet, I have also used compression bands and horse tape, used for joint compression in horses. It’s self sticking and very supportive and way cheaper then the same thing in drug stores for people. I just order it off of horse supply sites.

54. Birgit Schlechte November 7, 2017 at 11:39 pm - Reply

Chandi and all others who are looking at carpal tunnel surgery, have a repetitive motion injury, or “”frozen” muscles: please, please try trigger point therapy before you consider more invasive interventions! It will take some work and time, but you might get relief without surgery. Here is a link to a book that introduces trigger point therapy: https://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point-Therapy-Workbook-Self-Treatment/dp/1572243759

55. Gisela November 8, 2017 at 12:28 am - Reply

I can only add that my mother taught me to knit & she said that by putting my right hand needle under the arm, the wrists and would not have to work as hard as they do when you hold the needles with either continental or English away from you. My mom is Cuban as I am & we knit English style. Knitting with your needle under your arm let’s your shoulders relax and this might help. Hope it helps and you heal quickly.

56. L Yvonne Murray November 8, 2017 at 2:09 am - Reply

Look up Portuguese Knitting. It looks insanely easy and there is almost zero hand involvement. Staci at verypink.com and Andrea Wong are my go to people to teach me what I need to know. There is absolutely no difference in appearance between traditional knit methods and Portuguese knitting!

57. Kerrie Brown November 8, 2017 at 2:07 pm - Reply

I had pain in arms and base of thumb for two years that progresses to the point that I couldn’t grasp a water glass or open my car door. I tried taking breaks from knitting to massage area w a 2″ rubber ball, tried creams, and copper thread compression gloves and noticed some relief. I had been putting up with this for two years when I ordered a Copper bracelet with 3500 guass magnets in each link. The pain went away completely the first couple of weeks. Coming from a medical family and many surgeons, I normally am weary of such claims but the price made it worth trying. I’ve been wearing the bracelet for over a year and the pain has not returned.

I knit using the flicking method and only occasionally use Continental for variety or in color work. I usually knit adult sweaters.

Also also now let others open stuck far lids for me instead if being so independent or I patiently run the lid under hot water until the metal lid expands enough to untwist it from the jar.