FREE Knitted Boot Toppers Pattern – How To…(So EASY!)

/, Knitting, Knitting Patterns/FREE Knitted Boot Toppers Pattern – How To…(So EASY!)

FREE Knitted Boot Toppers Pattern – How To…(So EASY!)

OMG! These boot toppers are so cute! And really quick and easy to make.

Great for quick gifts that have a big impact!

AND! The pattern is adjustable. You can just make them longer (just knit the stockinette portion for as long as you like) and they are leg warmers instead of boot toppers! Woop woop!

Alright, alright! I’ll quit blathering on and tell ya how I made these adorable boot cuffs.

Step 1: GATHER SUPPLIES!

NEEDLES: US Size 9 dpns or circulars if doing the Magic Loop Method (which I do), plus a darning needle for sewing in ends

YARN: Any DK weight or worsted weight (I used my REFLECTION Dk weight superwash merino wool… limited edition, so it might be sold out by the time you read this post).  You’ll need approximately 75 grams of DK wt wool, so 1 skein was all it took for me.

Step 2: START KNITTING! YAY!

Okay here’s the pattern… don’t blink or you might miss it!

• CO 52 stitches and divide among your needles. Join for working in the round, making sure to not twist your stitches.
  • Work K2,P2 ribbing for 2 inches.
  • Work stockinette stitch (knitting every stitch every round) for 7 MORE inches. Total of 9 inches at this point.
  • Work K2,P2 ribbing for another 2 inches.
  • BO using a stretchy bind off, like Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off.
Step 3: MAKE ANOTHER ONE EXACTLY THE SAME!
Step 4: ADMIRE YOUR WORK, CUZ YOU’RE DONE!
If you really want to, you can block them by soaking them in luke warm water and laying them out to dry. This can help to even out your stitches and give them a more professional, even look.
But if you’re in a hurry and need to wrap them up for a gift or something, obviously they can’t be wet, so just forget the whole blocking thing and bundle them up for the lucky recipient!
how to knit boot cuffs
YAY! So that is literally all there is to it! So easy, right?
You can wear them slouched down around your ankles, poking out of your boots, or even folded double to show off the different colors (if yours change colors like these do). So many options.
knitted boot toppers how to pattern
I hope you love them and I can’t wait to see your versions! Make sure to post pictures of your finished projects to my Facebook timeline, as I absolutely LOVE seeing them.
how to make boot cuffs for gifts
Have a grand day…
I’m off to soak in the tub as my muscles are SOOOREE…. been working out like a fiend lately and shipping orders like a mad woman. YAY for lots of yarn orders!
So we’ll chat soon… make sure you’re subscribed to the newsletter if you’re not already, cuz you know… I send out tons of delicious yarn and fiber news you don’t wanna miss. 🙂
Bye now!

By | 2017-09-04T14:05:03+00:00 November 22nd, 2013|Finished Objects, Knitting, Knitting Patterns|23 Comments

1. Michele November 24, 2013 at 3:44 am - Reply

Cute, cute, cute!
    Thanks for sharing!

2. Dianne Chamberlain November 24, 2013 at 1:45 pm - Reply

Thanks for super free pattern, will certainly get knitting x

3. Mary November 24, 2013 at 11:38 pm - Reply

Some day when I loose weight and can wear boots I will be knitting boot toppers. Right now I can’t knit anything for myself as far as clothing, no socks even 🙁 I am having WLS in the next 6 months and I am knitting cowls, scarves, etc. Some day!

• Darlene November 20, 2014 at 4:18 pm - Reply

I know this is a year old, but I had to respond. DON’T ever think that you can’t wear boots, or that you can’t do anything until… until you lose weight, until you are finished with the degree, until your kids grow up, until, until, until. If you love boot cuffs and boots, put them on! Don’t let anything stop you from doing what you want. Society demands that women shrink themselves to feel good about themselves. Demands that we bow down to societal acceptance by being quiet, being small, being less-than. Be who you are… right now. Saying this with lots of love.

• BG Chamberlain January 15, 2016 at 1:29 pm - Reply

WONDERFUL!!! I felt so sad when I read her comment. You said everything I was thinking beautifully and with great caring and passion. And I’ve been doing the same thing to myself about boots, but going to go shop for some today. AND start the Toltec leg warmers in black to wear with black shoes, which will look like boots as well as being versatile. Bright blessings on you!

4. Nancy Woods December 14, 2013 at 11:39 pm - Reply

What is the Magic Loop Method of casting on? I have knitted for 70 years and have never heard of it. I would lile to knit these Boot Toppers using the method.

Thanks,
    Nancy

• Chandi December 23, 2013 at 7:37 pm - Reply

Nancy, there are many youtube tutorials on how to do this! It allows you to knit in the round with one long circular needle. Here is a video I did a LONG time ago (it’s so embarrassing!) but it might help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYqJ5uz76DM

5. irene January 1, 2014 at 9:39 am - Reply

Hi!
    If I have 16in circulars do I need to use the magic loop method? Thanks!
    PS, I learned how to knit from your videos and haven’t stopped since watching them 🙂

• Chandi January 5, 2014 at 12:18 am - Reply

That probably wouldn’t work… I think they’d be too short. You could try using them by just knitting around and around, if the stitches will fit. 🙂

6. Rebecca January 29, 2014 at 2:16 pm - Reply

Wow, these look really ‘kool’, will start on them tonight. Thanks.

7. Ann Whittaker February 8, 2014 at 4:33 pm - Reply

love the boot toppers

8. Vicky C. February 11, 2014 at 6:31 am - Reply

Hi Chandi: What size might I make for granddaughters? They are age 13 and 11 and both girls are slim – thanks for your great pattern!

• Chandi February 12, 2014 at 4:49 pm - Reply

Oh, I’d say cast on fewer stitches… perhaps 44. 🙂

9. Vicky C. February 13, 2014 at 5:23 am - Reply

Thank You! I’m gonna’ make-em!

10. Teresa Compton November 11, 2014 at 2:18 pm - Reply

Thank you for these patterns… I love knitting now if I could crochet….

11. christine September 29, 2015 at 12:51 am - Reply

Enjoying so many aspects of yarn, please tell us how you find time to do each craft. Do you spend say an hour each day to say spin, then knit, then crochet, etc? Or do you find time to do one craft each day? Or have you found another way to organize your crafting time?

• Chandi October 8, 2015 at 12:19 am - Reply

Christine, I don’t actually craft as much as I’d like to. Usually I let inspiration hit me and nothing at that point can stop me! I jump up, grab my needles or hook and get ‘er done.

12. Ellen October 17, 2015 at 8:40 am - Reply

I just started knitting a couple of weeks ago to try and help my anxiety (giving my hands something to do can help focus my attention to something more productive) and I learnt everything from your videos 🙂 they’re fab and so easy to follow! I think I’ll make these for my best friend who (now I’ve moved to Scotland) is 600 miles away. I’m sure she’ll love them as leg warmers as we’re both dancers. She’s only tiny though is there a length that you would recommend for leg warmers? Thanks for all the help 🙂 !!

13. Cirsten January 31, 2016 at 5:17 pm - Reply

Hello……I do love your boot toppers. But I also LOVE your boots. If you have made the boots, I would so love to get the pattern. My daughters range from 25, 23 & 15…..I know they would love to have a pair.
    I just love your site & your personality just shines through with your blogs.
    Cirsten

• Chandi February 2, 2016 at 11:01 am - Reply

Thank! The boots were bought somewhere…. so I didn’t make them. I wish I had though! ?

14. Rebecca Mcfarland April 9, 2016 at 7:26 pm - Reply

Ok so really new to knitting. I dont know how to use dbl end needles or circulars……so how do you convert this pattern to regular stick needles? Pls and thx

• Chandi April 9, 2016 at 10:05 pm - Reply

Rebecca, you can definitely convert it to flat. Or look up a pattern worked flat if you prefer and you can seam it up.

15. Heather Morgan October 10, 2017 at 7:59 pm - Reply

Thanks Chandi! I can’t wait to try this one. I’m new to New England, and in anticipation of my first real winter in a long time, I can’t wait to make some of these. I have taught myself to knit with your videos and am having a ball. Please keep them coming!

Heather