fbpx

~Hat Most Likely To Succeed – Finished Object ~

/, Inspiration, Knitting, Knitting Patterns/~Hat Most Likely To Succeed – Finished Object ~

~Hat Most Likely To Succeed – Finished Object ~

I normally knit and crochet items for women… I just prefer the patterns and color options I guess. I sometimes get a wee bit bored with manly items.

However…

Before Christmas, I wanted to make a hat for my man that he would actually wear and love… not one of those last-minute-rushing-here-you-go-and-then-it-doesn’t-fit-and-gets-stuffed-into-a-back-drawer kinda hat.

So I scoured for patterns and this one was approved by the man.

PATTERN: Hat Most Likely To Succeed by Alexandra Virgiel

YARN: I opted for my Aran weight superwash merino wool in colorway Charcoal (click here to see my current colorways.) I have said it before and I’ll say it again. I LOVE this yarn base. It’s fat, squishy, floofy, poofy, soft, bouncy and absolutely SO darn versatile… GREAT for baby items, next-to-skin wear, etc. Seriously. I love it. 1 skein almost did the trick, but I ended up needing 2 skeins.

charcoal superwash merino aran weight yarn

NEEDLES: Just like the pattern called for, I used US Size 7 needles (4.5mm), circulars. Magic loop method. Google it if you’d like to learn… I LOVE IT and use it for all my in-the-round projects.

MODIFICATIONS: None

knitted hat pattern easy

DIFFICULTY: Hmm. I’d say intermediate. Cables are not difficult, just time-consuming and bit awkward at first. But definitely doable! Even if you’re a beginner, I say give it a go. It took me about a week of knitting a few hours a day to complete.

Side note: Due to the needle size and all the cabling, I found my wrists hurt a bit if I knit on this for too long. So remember to take breaks and give those wristies a rest!

easy knitting hat pattern for men

VERDICT: He LOVES IT! I was so relieved when at last, I cast off, the fella tried it on and voila… it fit perfectly! I was so tickled! He wears it all the time and it was SOOO worth the effort invested. Hurray! LOVE it when that happens.

cabled hat pattern for men

I hope this inspires you to give cabling a try if you haven’t already! If you have, then keep up the good work, my friend. 😉

Have a fantastically delicious day and I’ll catch you next time…

XOXOXO

~Chandi

P.S. Let me know what you think in the comments below. Do you knit or crochet manly things or no?

By | 2017-09-04T14:05:02+00:00 February 5th, 2014|Finished Objects, Inspiration, Knitting, Knitting Patterns|32 Comments

1. Rockup February 5, 2014 at 7:54 pm - Reply

Love that hat!

I mostly make girl things, but I have brothers so I have made some manly items as well. Hats and gloves mostly for the menfolk. I did make a sweatervest for a boyfriend once – I don’t know if I would do that again!

2. Heather February 5, 2014 at 9:21 pm - Reply

Did you wash and block this hat or is it straight off the needles?

3. Janine Underhill February 6, 2014 at 12:09 am - Reply

Nice bit of eye candy and the hat is too cute and a great colour.

4. June Goodwin February 6, 2014 at 12:33 am - Reply

I love the hat and am so happy that your sweetheart loves it as well! I mostly knit manly sweaters, afghans, hats or scarves. They seem to be the method preferred. Either way, I get to work with YARN and that makes me happy!!!

5. Pixie February 6, 2014 at 12:36 am - Reply

I love the pattern and will make it this fall for my hubby.

6. Cheryl February 6, 2014 at 12:59 am - Reply

Not anymore since he rarely wears the scarf I made him.

7. Heidi Smith February 6, 2014 at 1:24 am - Reply

Love the hat :). The model is nice looking too ;).

8. Raela Stander February 6, 2014 at 3:13 am - Reply

I *HATE* to knit manly things.. mostly because my man is quite a big boy. A sweater in XXL? No thanks… my toddler, on the other hand, is quite delightful to knit for and appreciates everything!

9. Heather Register February 6, 2014 at 3:50 am - Reply

Did you wash and block the hat or is it straight off the needles?

• Chandi February 6, 2014 at 4:01 pm - Reply

Heather, it didn’t really need blocking, so it’s just straight off the needles!

10. Bonnie February 6, 2014 at 3:19 pm - Reply

I made one of these for my dad and one for my husband:

Both of them LOVE their hats!

11. Karen Rose February 7, 2014 at 11:10 pm - Reply

great pattern!!! The yarn is yummy and looks fabulous on your man!!!! (very handsome!) =)

12. Kymber February 11, 2014 at 3:21 pm - Reply

I’m using your video tutorials to learn to knit, and can’t believe that I am finally getting the hang of it. I have had to put my knitting lessons to the side for now though because I have a lot of crocheting to do. Usually I crochet girly stuff but hubby gets the occasional hat or scarf, and now I have a son in law to crochet for as well. As soon as I get my crochet list whittled down, I will be back to learning to knit, but it could be a while, I have a lot of labors of love on my list and I am enjoying every single one. I see some yarn purchases in my future because I really love that yarn and the color!!!

13. Lynn D February 11, 2014 at 8:52 pm - Reply

Looks the same color as his eyes and jacket. Melty smooth.
    That could be a mans or womens hat. Many items could be either. Vest, or scarf, gloves…Simple is good. Though those cables look nice!

14. Kim February 14, 2014 at 9:07 pm - Reply

I do create manly things from time to time…they are usually the best AND least picky customers LOL Seriously, my guy loves my work and is a proud peacock strutting when he wears a hat or scarf I made. Guys are easy. Women? Not always 🙂

15. Cryssi Jeffries February 19, 2014 at 1:05 pm - Reply

The first afghan I ever made I gave to my husband…it’s not particularly manly, but he loves it because it is my first creation. Just this past weekend, he asked me if I’d make him another one and if he could pick out the colors and what it will look like. Can I just say how attractive I thought it was to have him interested in me and my work? He always tells me how nice the things I make are, but to have him request it of me was humbling. 🙂

16. Tanisha February 26, 2014 at 9:04 pm - Reply

I came across your site to learn how to knit and be inspired. That is how I started crocheting and I figured what the hay why not start knitting. It is very different and difficult at first. Your videos helped I hope you make more :). You bring a more upbeat knitting style rather than old lady bore. Thank You.

17. Carol Gough March 11, 2014 at 5:28 am - Reply

Gorgeous! Lovely hat, too ( wink, wink)

18. Virginia Bullock April 7, 2014 at 10:01 am - Reply

Chandi-really nice hat! Yeah- I’ve made a few things for my husband-mostly hats and socks, but I even made him a sweater. This was no mean undertaking – he’s 6’5″. That’s a lot of knitting! I have to say – its important NOT to waver into anything too creative if your guy is a manly,man.. They won’t wear it. I really found the book “Knits MenWant” by Bruce Weinstein very helpful. Even if you never make any of the patterns in the book, the info on men’s psychology and the hand knit item was most instructive! (example- “Men are babies” and hate scratchy – who knew?). So…. By the way, Chandi, I’m your newest fan!! Love what you’re doing and how encouraging you are! Bless you!

19. Iona April 14, 2014 at 10:56 pm - Reply

I used to crochet a lot when I was younger, coats, jackets but mainly blankets to give away. I still have a few. Nowadays I seem to enjoy knitting. I love to continually experiment with colour and new ideas. Mostly mine! I love to modify a pattern and make it mine!

20. Kristin L April 17, 2014 at 12:26 am - Reply

Great work! I love it in that gorgeous charcoal and looks like it fit him perfectly. I agree with cabling, it looks more intimidating than it really is, was a little awkward at first when I crocheted a pair of cabled wristers. I love crocheting gifts for my husband because he always wants me to make them in the funnest colors! He asked for a red, white and blue beanie, and he wears it all the time. 🙂 He often gets more compliments on homemade items when he wears them than I do, I suspect because his are more bright and noticeable as I like mine in subtler tones (plus he’s taller than me; we tease that he’s my walking billboard, lol!) 🙂

21. peavy June 22, 2014 at 2:37 am - Reply

Where can I find this awesome pattern?

22. Claire Brown September 13, 2015 at 12:24 am - Reply

Hi I’ve looked on Raveley but i can’t find how to purchase this pattern. Could you direct me please? Thanks ?Claire Brown UK

23. Claire Brown November 4, 2015 at 3:57 am - Reply

Thanks very much. I’ve got some lovely Malabrigo worsted I’ll use on this ? Claire xx

24. Kristy December 13, 2015 at 11:09 pm - Reply

The yarn link doesn’t work. Where can I buy that type of yarn.

25. Kate January 23, 2016 at 6:05 pm - Reply

I’m knitting a whole lot more manly things these days. In Canada, we have this project going where every new refugee from Syria will get a hand knit hat — “because In Canada, the only enemy is the cold”. I thought there would be lots of people knitting for women and kids but there might be as much interest in knitting for the men, so that’s where I’ve concentrated my efforts.

26. Deb Underhill August 29, 2016 at 6:03 am - Reply

I love it. Will be making it for my man

27. Aida F. September 9, 2016 at 3:13 pm - Reply

Hi Chandi… first off LOVE your patterns and site!! I’ve been searching for a cable knit hat for my hubby that I’ve been wanting to make him and at the same time learn to cable knit. I spotted this one and so happy I did!! I can’t wait to try it out and I know he’ll love it, he’s my biggest fan,’ thank you for sharing this lovely pattern and have a blessed day. 🙂

28. Tara January 22, 2017 at 4:44 pm - Reply

I don’t know how to knit in the round….can I knit this hat on straight needles?

• Chandi February 7, 2017 at 12:56 pm - Reply

Sure you can. You have to reverse every other row and then seam it up! Have fun!