fbpx

How to Arm Knit – Arm Knitting for the Clueless!

/, Knitting, Scarves and Cowls, Silk Yarn, Video Tutorials/How to Arm Knit – Arm Knitting for the Clueless!

How to Arm Knit – Arm Knitting for the Clueless!

Even if you have no idea how to knit, you can arm knit! (And yes, it is ACTUALLY knitting… it’s basically the same thing as knitting with needles, with just a couple modifications). So if you learn to arm knit, you’re well on your way to learning to really knit! Woop woop!

Why learn arm knitting?

• It’s easy!
  • It’s quick.
  • It’s fun!

Ha ha! Need more reasons?

• You can whip out a last-minute gift in about 30 minutes flat and say, “I made this!”
  • Great for beginners!
  • You can finally mark “learn to knit” off your New Year’s Resolutions. Hurray!
  • And like I mentioned, it’s practically the same as knitting with needles (casting on, working the knit stitch and binding off), so your brain is getting used to the motions of knitting… knitting with needles will now be easier than if you didn’t learn to arm knit!
  • You’ll feel really clever.
  • You’ll impress all of your friends. 🙂 He he he…

Okay, without further ado, let’s get arm knitting!

Now, I’d love to hear what you think. I like conversations with other knitters, not just me blabbing out into cyberspace.

So say hello! Take a few minutes to comment below and let me know what you think about this video!

Have you tried arm knitting? If so, let the other readers know any further suggestions you have!

And remember to have a spectacular day! I appreciate you taking the time to read this and I’ll catch ya next time!

XOXOXO

By | 2018-02-19T21:15:12+00:00 January 23rd, 2014|Finished Objects, Knitting, Scarves and Cowls, Silk Yarn, Video Tutorials|60 Comments

1. Julie Lawrence January 23, 2014 at 11:32 pm - Reply

Well done, easy to follow good video quality…you may have convinced me to try Arm Knitting. I will let you know!
    Hugs
    Julie

• Sandy December 2, 2014 at 4:56 pm - Reply

thank you so much….your instructions were the easiest one I found

2. Cary Sullivan January 24, 2014 at 12:02 am - Reply

Really enjoyed this. Great idea for kids, very fashion. Love the silk. Thanks for sharing.

3. Gail Holien January 24, 2014 at 12:09 am - Reply

I haven’t tried arm knitting yet, but will soon!! 🙂 Thanks Chandi!

4. Marcia Barrett January 24, 2014 at 12:41 am - Reply

Woooohoooo!! fantastic way to use up some old fabric!!!

5. Josie January 24, 2014 at 12:56 am - Reply

My neighbor, Sue, recently arm knit an infinity scarf and then sent me a photo. It looked really nice. This looks like one of those projects many non-knitters may try.

6. Linda :-) :-) January 24, 2014 at 1:12 am - Reply

You did a great job on this video. Very clear to anyone that doesn’t know how to knit. The arm knitting should be a great segway to needle knitting.
    L.
    🙂 🙂

7. Suzanne Langlois January 24, 2014 at 2:48 am - Reply

Excellent tutorial! Clear and quick and totally convincing~I’m going to buy Sari silk and do some arm knitting!

Thanks, Chandi!

P.S. You have such a sweet voice and I love how you sort of talked with your hands!

8. Karen Kugler January 24, 2014 at 3:47 am - Reply

Great Job. Clear and Precise, you made it very easy.

9. Paulette January 24, 2014 at 4:02 am - Reply

Chandi, very well done! I’ve arm knitted for years and enjoyed it with chunky yarn
    I have even used cut t shirt material and various other materials that I have cut myself. I will share your video with my granddaughter. She will love to try this technique, even at 12yrs of age.

10. naomi January 24, 2014 at 4:45 am - Reply

Arm knitting looks easy!! Thanks for sharing!! Definitely going to try it!!:) Rhx Chandi

11. Pam Van Beenen January 24, 2014 at 5:53 am - Reply

Great instructions. Looks like a great way to gift your home made projects. Short and sweet!

12. Lisa Schofield January 24, 2014 at 9:10 am - Reply

Awesome, I’ve been wanting to try this for ages but couldn’t find a tutorial, excellent video and I lurve lurve the sari yarn

13. Jen Kelly January 24, 2014 at 1:05 pm - Reply

Hello Chandi! My 9 year old daughter and I can’t wait to arm knit! It looks so fun and your instructions were amazing!! Your video was so clear and you went slow and repeated so we understood thanks!! I want some of that yarn!! I will be ordering very soon. :). I can’t wait for your next post. I read them all. Take care.
    ~ Jen

14. Virginia Miller January 24, 2014 at 4:17 pm - Reply

Love this video, very easy to follow. I cannot wait to try it.

15. Rita January 25, 2014 at 4:32 am - Reply

Did anyone ever tell you how smart you are?
    I can’t understand how anyone could NOT be able to do that……..

RR

16. Ellissa January 25, 2014 at 8:11 pm - Reply

I’m to knitting of any sort and need some guidance on something I’m obviously doing incorrectly: when I begin moving the stitches from my right hand to my left, the yarn between my wrists gets longer despite cinching it tighter and I end up with a giant tail, and then my final stitch is all wrong.

I feel nuts.

Can you troubleshoot this for me? Or have I created a problem so strange that I should put down the arms and stick to my crochet hook?

• Chandi January 27, 2014 at 3:41 pm - Reply

No worries! One way to prevent this is to try a tighter cast on method, or a different cast on method (Google “long tail cast on” and try that). I hope this helps! Chandi

17. Nan January 25, 2014 at 10:15 pm - Reply

video is reasonably clear – it needs captions for those who can’t hear what you are saying.

18. Pati January 26, 2014 at 1:15 am - Reply

Thanks. It looks lik fun to do and since I’ve got some of that sari yarn coming, I’ll try this with it!

Your explanations and demonstrations are very clear and concise. I think just about anyone would be able to knit with these instructions.

Pati

19. Teresa M. Lowe January 26, 2014 at 2:41 pm - Reply

I love your videos! Very clear instructions, easy to follow! Good job!

20. carol koenig January 26, 2014 at 7:30 pm - Reply

Chandi – that is simply wonderful. Your video is so clear, anybody should be able to be arm knitting within minutes. Love new ideas!!!
    Carol

21. Linda Patton January 27, 2014 at 2:49 am - Reply

Very well done, and I believe I can now do this! I had seen things made this way, but not a tutorial. Thanks and you really did do a great job!

22. Dorothy January 28, 2014 at 1:18 am - Reply

Awesome Chandi. Thanks for sharing. I have seen a lot of scarfs knit at Christmas this way, but with big chunky wool. Like this silk idea — and may even try this with some polyester fabric that I already have cut and been saving for awhile.

I love your new shades of aran too. And your tutorial was so simple , clear and concise. Your photography video is so bright too. There are so many parts of your business, that are so simple. Love it. Makes me want to do something I love… but I don’t have the technical skills. Is your book still available?
    Dorothy

• Chandi January 28, 2014 at 3:49 pm - Reply

Thanks, Dorothy!

Yes, I need to rewrite parts of the book but it will be available again soon. 🙂

23. Vickie January 28, 2014 at 4:15 pm - Reply

Great video. You definitely have a talent for teaching in a clear and precise way. Thanks.

24. Kelly January 28, 2014 at 4:23 pm - Reply

Excellent video. It makes learning very easy. I just started knitting about a year ago and have since watched about a million tutorials. Yours was much easier to follow than the average and I appreciate the bright light and the method you used to fastforward with a voice over. A lot of people skip through to the end right away and I like to see the process even if its in fast forward. Will you be offering any bulkier yarns in the future for projects like this? I keep wanting to try the large knitting too but wonder about finding a nice big yarn for it. Thanks!

25. Marilyn January 28, 2014 at 8:23 pm - Reply

You gave excellent visual instructions. I had to try it a few times, decided the yarn I was using will wait for another time, then did with 2 strands synthetic fluffy Bernat that I couldn’t use and I was able to do the scarf. Thanks.

26. Cheryl January 28, 2014 at 10:08 pm - Reply

Loved the video! You are so cute, and so enthused that you can make anyone want to try and arm knit! Showed it to some of our knitting group, and we may try it as a Spring project-when some of our snow birds return from Florida!

Love the colors of your Aran weight, too! So creative and simply gorgeous!

Back to knitting my sweaters, bye……

27. NancyGrace January 28, 2014 at 10:36 pm - Reply

GREAT VIDEO! I watched another arm-knitting video two weeks ago and just didn’t get it. You made it all so CLEAR and SIMPLE. Yes, I already know how to knit, but the other video just didn’t do it for me.
    Thank you for all you do in sharing your talents with the world. I know that God blesses you for your generosity and kind spirit.

28. Belinda February 1, 2014 at 3:07 pm - Reply

Love it! Thanks so much!

29. Kathy February 3, 2014 at 2:37 pm - Reply

Just wanted to say I really like the way you teach. I first found you on YouTube because I wanted to learn how to Knit and I have Crocheted before a long time ago. Funny thing I started reading Debbie Macomber’s Blossom Street Series Books and it was about knitters getting togeather at a shop. And making friendships really Great Books.That got me into wanting to know how to knit.Just thought I would share.

Kathy

30. Kathy February 3, 2014 at 2:39 pm - Reply

Oh By the way Great video.
    Kathy

31. Lisa Schofield February 6, 2014 at 9:10 am - Reply

Love it and the color is lovely. I’ve only crocheted a couple of manly things. Lisa x

32. Kristin L. February 9, 2014 at 10:57 am - Reply

Awesome tutorial! Great video quality and easy to follow. Gotta try this sometime (I have to watch this again when I’m not so tired, though, so I can follow every bit). It’s great, too, because I’ve been wanting to pick up knitting in addition to crochet, but have been too intimidated to start. I even have the needles. This really does help me understand how knitting works, thanks!! Also, the scarf design in that chunky ribbon yarn is gorgeous!! Love the color scheme.

33. Sonia Spence February 9, 2014 at 10:25 pm - Reply

Hi what a great idea! I would like to have seen it at a better angle and I would have like to have seen a better view of the finished project.

34. Beth Rubin February 10, 2014 at 4:42 am - Reply

This video is so well done!! Extremely easy to follow. Great job. I would like to try this. Thank you!!

35. Linda Stubblefield February 10, 2014 at 5:31 am - Reply

Great idea!! I’m definitely going to have to give this a try.

36. Chrystal Paulsen February 22, 2014 at 4:03 am - Reply

Chandi: You’ve inspired me to start knitting and my first batch of beautifully hand-painted sari ribbon yarn arrived today to try arm knitting as well! Love the videos! So please don’t stop!

37. imani lambert March 9, 2014 at 3:44 pm - Reply

Great lighting! Your audio and visual aspects are easy to follow and not too complicated. Keep up the great work!

38. Sandra March 16, 2014 at 1:39 pm - Reply

I am a old time knitter who is always looking for new things to do….but this arm knitting is not for me, to mu ch twisting and turning of the hands,and the results are to loopy and sloppy looking to me….why anyone would want to do this is beyond me….

• Alli October 15, 2015 at 10:47 am - Reply

I can understand the repetitive wrist movements being a problem–but if you happen to glance back here and your wrists are up to it, using multiple strands of superbulky gives you a tighter gauge and a smooth finished product that just looks like a scaled-up version of your average sweater fabric.

39. mo Labranche March 17, 2014 at 2:01 pm - Reply

Thanks I am a new knitter and found a few instructions on google.
    Yours has casting on in much easier pictures.
    Thanks, if we wanted to use really large needles do we have to use double pointed to get the same effect. (like size 50)?
    also love the fabric look, can we use scrap yarn and tie in just like regular knitting?

• Chandi March 26, 2014 at 4:47 pm - Reply

Yes and yes! I say experiment and see what you get but I see no problem with what you’re wanting to do. Have fun!

40. StephanieR March 23, 2014 at 10:30 am - Reply

Thank you for the great video. Lovely idea using ribbon yarn instead of the bulky yarn or multiple strands of yarn. I like the look of the ribbon yarn. Brava!

41. Lucinda Kafton April 6, 2014 at 2:54 pm - Reply

This is a great way to encourage newbies! But anyone would enjoy making this scarf. I love your posts. They brighten my day!

42. Jenny April 11, 2014 at 2:17 pm - Reply

I stop by your blog every few weeks to see what’s new and search old posts for new ideas. I LOVE it! And your video is so helpful. I am fairly new at crochet and never thought I’d want to take on something new….but I might just have to try this arm knitting thing.

Keep up the good work.

43. Margaret Lehr April 21, 2014 at 3:24 am - Reply

Thank you for the lesson!! I will get some of that yarn and look at the lesson with the yarn in my hands to actually try it!!!

44. Danielle Ricard June 23, 2014 at 6:47 pm - Reply

Hi ! Chandi,
    VERY NICE KNITTING .IT’S VERY SPECIAL . LIKE YOU ,I LOVE KNITTING , FIBER LIKE YOUR AMAZING YARNS.
    TASKE CARE OF YOU AND CONTINUE TO DO SOMETHING SO LOVELY AND SPECIAL !!!!!
    WITH ALL MY LOVE !
    Danielle

45. Danielle ricard July 28, 2014 at 2:54 am - Reply

Hi ! Very interesting .I try to do the same thing like you !
    I thinl is’t easy with this video because it’clear and very explications very Good !”
    THJANK YOU CHANDI !

46. Deb Conley October 21, 2014 at 3:43 am - Reply

Chandi,
    Love your videos! You are so entertaining 🙂 I have a question. About how many rolls or skeins of the fabric yarn do you need for this project? How many rows did you knit? Can it be made into an infinity scarf or are more rows needed?
    Thanks in advance 🙂

• Chandi October 26, 2014 at 12:14 pm - Reply

Deb, I used 1 skein of our Sari Ribbon Yarn and just knitted until I ran out of yarn. Yes, it can definitely be made into an infinity scarf! Good luck!

47. Audrey December 8, 2014 at 11:23 pm - Reply

Hi Chandi! I’m excited to tackle and conquer this technique. Yours is by far the easiest instructions to follow. I am a complete beginner at any kind of knitting. I am finding myself running into the same problem. I get my firsts casts and everything on fine, but when I start to grab my loops and slip them on the left hand, my yarn keeps getting tighter and tighter. It’s like I’m running out of room and by the end of my stitches I can barely get them on my hand and I have to start over. I Can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong! Please help!

Audrey

• Audrey December 8, 2014 at 11:28 pm - Reply

Ahh! I solved my problem. I wasn’t using the working yarn after I did the first loop! Much better now 🙂

48. Nancy Knott December 13, 2014 at 6:33 am - Reply

I like your video the best. I bought some yarn that looks like ribbon, however, there is hole every few inches, I’m not sure how to handle it.

49. Donna December 28, 2014 at 4:43 pm - Reply

Nice instructions but you never said how much ribbon you actually need to make a scarf.

50. Amy January 16, 2015 at 5:49 am - Reply

Best arm knitting tutorial I’ve seen! I’m so excited to make a scarf using this technique. You really broke this down so I, a non-knitter, can do it. I’m looking forward to watching more of your videos.

51. Susan February 6, 2016 at 7:21 pm - Reply

Love the video but I’m doing something wrong. When I start to transfer to the second arm, the space between my arms gets longer and longer. What am I missing? Thanks!

• Chandi February 16, 2016 at 6:57 pm - Reply

Susan, it can happen but it should tighten up as you go along. If not, just weave it in when you’re done. 🙂

52. Misty October 20, 2016 at 11:29 pm - Reply

Love your easy to follow video tutorial!! You made it look easy and none of that confusing twisting and turning in and out of loops. I will grab my yarn and give it a try. Thank you so much, Chandi!