How to Block Your Finished Knitted and Crochet Projects

/, Video Tutorials/How to Block Your Finished Knitted and Crochet Projects

How to Block Your Finished Knitted and Crochet Projects

Hey, you’re here! Welcome, welcome!

So you’ve finished making that awesome knitted or crocheted piece but it looks a bit…lacking? Maybe a little rumpled? The lace or eyelets aren’t showing up very well?

It needs blocked.

Blocking will take your work from “meh” to “SHAZAM!”

It will open up your stitching, given a more even, polished and professional look to your piece and just improve the look of your item in general.

What is blocking?

There are several methods. My favorite and the one I show you today is to simply soak your item in lukewarm water, press the water out and pin into shape to air dry.

Watch the video and see what ya think:

I have another wet blocking tutorial with step by step pictures here. I include lots of info there including what types of fibers you can use, etc.

And if you’re in a hurry, here is a way to steam block your piece. This method works best for simpler projects like garter stitch scarves.

Have a beautiful day. I hope this video helped you.

Take care now.

By | 2017-09-04T14:04:47+00:00 April 6th, 2016|Finishing Techniques, Video Tutorials|6 Comments

1. Sandy McKean April 7, 2016 at 8:10 pm - Reply

I love all of your yarns but I think I love the sock yarn best of all

2. Santara April 8, 2016 at 8:50 pm - Reply

You actually made blocking look and feel like FUN! Thank-you for the fantastic demonstration! Can’t wait
    to finish my project and block it!

3. Leanna April 9, 2016 at 2:26 am - Reply

Hi Chandi! I have a question. Do you have to block the item again if you wash it later on down the road? I feel like that wouldn’t be the case since many projects are gifts, and the recipient wouldn’t know how to block it. But I’m not sure. Any thoughts? Thanks!

• Chandi April 11, 2016 at 4:05 pm - Reply

Leanna, yes, it needs to be blocked each time it is washed

4. Anthony April 17, 2016 at 12:24 pm - Reply

Chandi,
    Until this video I thought “blocking” was putting blocks/bricks or other heavy stuff on my projects…. I was so confused. Imagine how glad I was to see how this was done without the need for bricks!! 🙂 Thanks for this video and all the other ones you do. I really like that you’re yourself in front of the camera, that it’s not a put-on or a fake personality.

5. Stacy Clavette October 3, 2017 at 1:52 am - Reply

Thank you for the video it is very helpful. I can not wait until I can purchase some of your yarn. I have to wait until have a little extra cash I usually only buy the most inexpensive yarn I can because I am on SSDI so I only have a limited amount of money to use each month but when I get any extra I am going to purchase some I love the look of your yarn and cant wait to try some.