Finished Object – Neptune’s Tears Crocheted Shawl Pattern

/, Finished Objects, Scarves and Cowls/Finished Object – Neptune’s Tears Crocheted Shawl Pattern

Finished Object – Neptune’s Tears Crocheted Shawl Pattern

After giving me some initial fits, this crocheted shawl pattern was just meant to be. 🙂

I dyed this beautiful yarn, using the colors from my Dover Castle colorway (now discontinued, but you can see current sock yarn listings here), into a custom gradient just for moi. I had so much emotion with it, because as I’ve mentioned before, when I went to England this spring, I saw the Dover Castle and it was the single most inspiring thing for me while there.

The entire trip was a dream come true, as I’ve always wanted to travel the world, but the chance had never really materialized. When my niece and her mom (my sis-in-law) said they were going to England to see my niece’s boyfriend (who is in the air force), that tickets were reasonable, lodging would be free since he had a house and asked if I wanted to go, I looked at my niece, looked at my sis-in-law and exclaimed with my hands flailing in the air, “I’M GOING! WOO!” And I went.

The Dover Castle was STUNNING. The history is amazing. The view, indescribable. We walked through the entire castle and all around the grounds, including the underground tunnels.

As we walked along, I had the most incredible feeling, as if I could do anything I set my mind to in life. The wind was biting and cold, the sun was bright; it was just gorgeous.

The combination of the brisk cold and the exhilaration of the adventure created a desire in me to design and knit a beautiful shawl based on that feeling and that I could actually wear during travels. (I also decided I was going to build my own castle to live in, but we’ll ignore that moment of delusion.)

So I dyed up this yarn in a lovely gradient and set about to make something epic.

I began knitting 4 different items with this yarn and none of them were satisfying me. I don’t even remember them all.

If I’ve learned anything in knitting/crocheting, it’s to stop and DO IT RIGHT. So I asked myself if ALL that time spent knitting was wasted and I thought, “No.” If I’m not going to wear it or feel proud giving it to someone, then it needs to be redone.

And this yarn means too much to me to just slam together something I wasn’t going to treasure.

So it hit me.

Since I’ve been wanting to crochet a shawl, I thought, why not use this yarn?

neptune's tears crocheted shawl

So I did!

I decided to make:

Neptune’s Tears crocheted shawl pattern (and am wildly in love with it.)
•Hook Size: 4.0mm (G)
•Yarn: My LusterSoft Fingering Superwash Merino Wool, approx 400 yards (1 ball is 369 yards which would have been enough, as the yarn stretches once blocked and dried and I feel this turned out a leetle too big, but oh, well!)
•Project Mods: I ended it differently than the pattern called for, by just finishing with a basic row of double crochets to create a smooth, straight edge.

So now I know what the problem was! The yarn wanted to be crocheted all this time, not knitted! How was I to know?

It wouldn’t let me thwart its destiny.

It was a super quick project (took me a week or two?) and turned out beautifully, don’t you think?

crocheted shawl pattern lace

I did tack on some undyed, cream yarn at the end to make it a little bigger. I regret that a little, as I think it turned out a smidge too big for my body (I’m 5’1″) but all in all, I’m delighted with it.

I think it will go perfectly with lighter wash jeans and a variety of tops, including nude like I’m wearing in the photos, or soft purples, of which I have several.

easy crochet shawl pattern

beginner's lacey crochet shawl patternclose up crocheted shawl pattern sexy

What do you think about this crocheted shawl pattern? Do you ever have to redo projects again and again? How do you handle it?

To see my current sock yarn listings, just have a click HERE.

Also, stay tuned as I have a photo tutorial created for you of how to block a hand-knit or crocheted shawl, using this one as an example. I hope you have a great day!

~Chandi

By | 2017-09-04T14:05:12+00:00 September 4th, 2012|Crochet, Finished Objects, Scarves and Cowls|36 Comments

1. Diane September 5, 2012 at 1:15 am - Reply

It is absolutely beautiful. I checked out the original pattern and I can see what you mean by changing the edging, but it didn’t take a thing away from it. The gradient in the wool worked perfectly and your final product a work of art to be proud of. It turned out absolutely fantastic! Well done.

2. Diane September 5, 2012 at 1:17 am - Reply

Posted too quickly. It should read, “your final product is a work of art”. Sorry.

3. Valorie Fischer September 5, 2012 at 1:59 am - Reply

Okay I LOVE this shawl! I am not big on using a G hook – usually hurts… but this is stellar! I ordered some yarn from you to make myself a shawl !!! 😀 I will let you know how it turns out when I finish it!

4. Marsha September 5, 2012 at 7:30 am - Reply

I love the shawl! The pattern really shows of the colours nicely. And how wonderful to create such a beautiful link to a beautiful memory!
    I do occasionally have to redo or change a project. A while back I was making a cropped cardigan out of some gorgeous yarn. It was just about finished when I realized, I didn’t like it! The colour was beautiful, the yarn was soft and comfortable, but the pattern just didn’t do it justice. That same evening I started on a shawl pattern with that same yarn. Unraveling the cardi as I went! LOL
    The finished shawl is one of my favourite and most used handknits.
    Keep creating <3
    Marsha

5. Kara September 5, 2012 at 12:11 pm - Reply

LOVE it, Chandi! Truly beautiful!

6. Alison September 6, 2012 at 4:21 pm - Reply

I ABSOLUTELY love your shawl!! Feel in love with the color technique and shawl itself. You made it truly unique and one of a kind. It isn’t too big for you; it’s a perfect fit. Oh BTW, don’t forget a blue shirt also would be perfect with the shawl too.

7. Phyllis February 4, 2013 at 5:36 pm - Reply

You did this with Fingering sock yarn. How would it work with the silk. I have Alaska Fireweed. The colors are beautiful and I think it may work, but not sure. What do you say? Thanks.

8. carmelle February 4, 2013 at 6:54 pm - Reply

I have this knitting project that I have had to re-do several times, and have made a mistake again…So I have decided that I will keep going and go in after and fix it that way…..I love the color of the shawl….

9. Jill Barker February 6, 2013 at 4:18 pm - Reply

Oh dear – I just realised that it’s crochet. I don’t dare. How can I get a similar effect by knitting?

And yes – I am re-using some beautiful lavender pure wool I bought in a sale. But the original pattern gave me a very thick, heavy shawl that was also too small and used up loads of wool. I need something with lots of lightness and holes.

10. Roberta April 30, 2013 at 5:57 pm - Reply

The shawl is beautifull..

11. Dixie June 22, 2013 at 10:26 pm - Reply

Simply beautiful and very delicate looking.

12. Diana November 20, 2013 at 2:03 pm - Reply

I love this shawl and would love to make one. How I can I get the pattern for Neptune’s Tears Crochet Shawl ?

• Chandi November 20, 2013 at 11:09 pm - Reply

Yes, it should be at the pattern link shown in the post. If not, you can message the designer, as I’m not at liberty to share the pattern myself. 🙂 Have fun with it!! It’s a great pattern!

• Diana November 21, 2013 at 4:11 pm - Reply

Thank you so much and I do understand!

13. Palmer Johnson December 15, 2013 at 3:49 pm - Reply

I love this shawl. Where do I find the pattern!!

14. Amanda July 10, 2014 at 1:50 am - Reply

I love this pattern but am unable to find it when I click on the link. Is there anyway you can post it?

15. Kathy July 14, 2014 at 7:53 pm - Reply

I would love to make this too. Could you please share the pattern? It has been missing from ravelry for quite some time now.

16. Janet Roberson August 9, 2014 at 1:19 pm - Reply

Ditto…I have looked everywhere for this pattern with no luck.

17. Judy S September 30, 2014 at 9:21 pm - Reply

Beautiful! I see the pattern,or magazine it was in, is out of print. Is there anywhere I can get the pattern? Thank you. Love your site and thanks for sharing your talents.

18. Judy S September 30, 2014 at 9:24 pm - Reply

Neptune’s Tears is beautiful and I would love to make it! Is it possible you would make the pattern available as the magazine it was published in is out of print.
    Love your site! Thank you for sharing your talents!

19. Margaret October 14, 2014 at 4:21 am - Reply

I don’t see the pattern on this website or on the Ravelry site. I don’t know how I’m missing it but I simply see it nowhere?!!

• Chandi October 17, 2014 at 12:03 pm - Reply

I’m not sure, but I think the designer took the pattern down.

20. Renee October 22, 2014 at 3:00 pm - Reply

Love your shawl. I can’t find the pattern anywhere. The pictures are on Raverly but no pattern. Please help!

• Chandi October 26, 2014 at 12:13 pm - Reply

I think the designer took the pattern off of Ravelry? I’m sorry! Just not sure.

21. Sharon August 13, 2015 at 8:55 pm - Reply

I found the pattern but there are mistakes and that drives me crazy! Your shawl is beautiful and the reason I searched for the pattern.

22. anne westbrook October 30, 2015 at 4:44 pm - Reply

Hi Chandi,

Do you know when this pattern will become available again. I love it!

Thanks!

23. Lisa November 5, 2015 at 1:15 pm - Reply

Hi… I would also love to make this and already have suitable yarn but cent seem to find the pattern anywhere??? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!!

• Chandi November 6, 2015 at 12:21 pm - Reply

last time I checked the designer had taken this pattern off of revelry and I was unable to get ahold of her.

24. Lynda Prucha April 1, 2016 at 6:34 am - Reply

Love the shawl it is exquisite have to have paternity or at least a recipe of stit:he’s used
    Love Lynda Prucha

25. Laurence LIGUORI June 1, 2016 at 9:41 am - Reply

J’aimerais beaucoup faire ce très joli châle mais je ne trouve pas le schéma, diagramme, où puis je trouver, merci pour votre aide 🙂

26. Kathy Larsen April 14, 2017 at 8:29 pm - Reply

Chandi, I found a link to the pattern, may I share it?

• Chandi April 20, 2017 at 12:49 pm - Reply

Absolutely!

• Lisa May 1, 2017 at 12:05 am - Reply

Hi could you share the link plz ?

27. Joyce May 4, 2017 at 5:23 am - Reply

If anyone can help with the directions for this it will be much appreciated.

28. Maria August 17, 2017 at 2:52 am - Reply

I am in love with one of your creations that is no longer available, is there anyway you can help me w/the pattern so I can make the Neptune Tears shawl?

• Chandi August 25, 2017 at 6:25 pm - Reply

Maria, I’m afraid it’s not my pattern and the designer has removed it from Ravelry. Sorry about that!