fbpx

How to Knit a Diagonal Striped Infinity Scarf for Beginners

Hey!! Welcome! So happy you’re here.

Today’s pattern (an angled/diagonal striped infinity knitted scarf – WHEW!!!) is so simple, yet produces such a fun result.

This knitting pattern is called Whirlwind and you can actually download the pattern for free if you like.

how to knit an angled striped diagonal infinity scarf - pattern

You’ll need 2 skeins (220 yards approximately each but exact yardage isn’t important) of worsted weight yarn.

YARN: Pearlescent Worsted  in colorways: Nautical and Sand Dune.

NEEDLES: US Size 8 knitting needles – you can use straights – I just had circulars on hand so used those, but they are not necessary.

OTHER: Grab some scissors and a darning needle

how to knit an angled striped diagonal infinity scarf - pattern

In this tutorial, I’m going to show you a “cheat” way to make and seam this scarf. Once you get more into knitting, you can try a provisional cast on, three needle bind off, etc, for a more polished look, but for something quick and easy and especially if you’re just starting out, this quick method will do the trick.

If you’re new to knitting and wanting to learn from the very beginning, you can watch my How to Knit for Absolute Beginners video here.

And if you need help winding a center-pull ball of yarn with your hands, check out my video here.

Alright, have a beautiful day!

how to knit an angled striped diagonal infinity scarf - pattern

By | 2018-07-18T11:45:34+00:00 June 14th, 2018|Knitting, Knitting Patterns, Video Tutorials|17 Comments

1. Eileen Paton June 15, 2018 at 12:30 am - Reply

Hi. Enjoyed the video. Quick question. Is it possible to knit the Diagonal Striped Infinity Scarf in the round instead of sewing the ends together. Whenever I sew ends, it looks terrible so I’d rather join and knit in the round. If that is possible, do you have a written pattern for it? Thanks so much. Eileen

• Chandi June 16, 2018 at 11:53 am - Reply

You can but the stripes would be going around and around instead of the direction shown. I don’t have a video on that but will try to get one made for you. Thanks! Chandi

• Andrea August 3, 2018 at 9:38 pm - Reply

If you use a provisional cast on, you can then put those stitches back on a needle at the end and kitchener them together and it will be absolutely seamless. It’s what I would do, I loathe seaming. 😉 😋

2. Dawn Berghone June 15, 2018 at 3:33 am - Reply

I found you are n youtube first! My favorite color are the tone of blue your giving away for June 2018

3. Phyllis June 15, 2018 at 8:41 am - Reply

This is so pretty. A pattern I want to do. Thank you for sharing it with us.

4. Maggi Hartnett June 15, 2018 at 1:28 pm - Reply

this will be a great scarf for a traveling project. Thank you for the video.

5. Janie Clark June 15, 2018 at 1:57 pm - Reply

Chandi – Love your yarns! Thank you for the patterns every week. I think I am going to make several of these infinity scarves!

6. Anne Kaplan July 30, 2018 at 2:20 am - Reply

Can you cast on more stitches to make a wider scarf? Even number? Love this pattern and can’t wait to start!

7. Deonne Wallberg August 1, 2018 at 4:52 pm - Reply

What a beautiful simple. simply beautiful pattern! Love it! Thanks, ChandI

8. julie a wayman August 7, 2018 at 8:11 pm - Reply

Would you recommend using a fingering weight yarn, and how stitches would you cast on please?

• Chandi August 9, 2018 at 11:12 am - Reply

For this project I used worsted weight yarn, though you certainly can try fingering weight yarn. I cast on 42 stitches.

9. Patti Sole August 28, 2018 at 4:04 pm - Reply

Hi. I am currently making this scarf. I was wondering if it would be possible to knit 4 rows of each color before switching colors and still bring the new Conor up the side without making ends each time.

• Chandi August 28, 2018 at 9:12 pm - Reply

You can. You are going to get longer strands going up the side. But you should try it and see if you like the look.

10. Elyse August 30, 2018 at 10:06 am - Reply

I am wondering how a provisional cast on would be of any help for this scarf? You will be seaming the sides so it really wouldnt make sense to me. Am I missing something or what?

11. Luanne Kleiman October 12, 2018 at 7:22 pm - Reply

This is so cute and simple! I love how even though the stripes are diagonal, the ends are not, makes it very interesting and polished looking! Starting mine tonight!

12. Shar James October 30, 2018 at 3:21 am - Reply

Love the scarf, Chandi, and you are a natural instructor! Thank you so much for the video. I am not a raw beginner, but sometimes you learn the most useful and unexpected things, I never knew how to estimate the tail for casting on; I just used trial and error. The scarf is lovely, and your methods will save me time!l