How to Knit – Absolute Beginner Knitting, Lesson 1 – Even if You’re Clueless

/, Video Tutorials/How to Knit – Absolute Beginner Knitting, Lesson 1 – Even if You’re Clueless

How to Knit – Absolute Beginner Knitting, Lesson 1 – Even if You’re Clueless

Learn to knit! It’s easier than you think and I break it down to the basics so anybody can get started, whether you’re 4 or 94.

When I uploaded this video I had no idea if anybody would watch it and lo and behold, it’s had nearly 3 million views. Good LORD! I get emails daily from people who have joined the knitting bandwagon and are now hooked for life.

It’s an incredibly satisfying pastime and you will be whipping out scarves and hats and sweaters and socks before you know it.

Let’s get busy learning to knit:

I show you how to:

1. Cast on
2. Work the knit stitch
3. Bind off
4. What to do if you (gasp!) drop a stitch.

Once you get the hang of it, you’ll want to practice and practice. It took me a few weeks before I felt really comfortable with it. You are forming new brain connections and creating new motor skills and it takes time. You didn’t learn to write perfectly in a day and knitting is the same. Give yourself time and load up on the patience!

Good luck!

If you liked this video, please check out our others HERE and then SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube Channel here.

The best way to keep in touch with me is to sign up for my email newsletter. Take care now!

Kees kees, hug hug.

By | 2017-09-04T14:04:49+00:00 January 18th, 2016|Knitting, Video Tutorials|21 Comments

1. Melissa January 18, 2016 at 4:53 pm - Reply

Do you use the long tail cast-on with 2 skeins of yarn, if not do you have a “cheat” for calculating how much yarn is needed for casting on?

• Chandi January 19, 2016 at 8:39 pm - Reply

I just use one skein for the cast on. I usually do 1″ of tail yarn for each stitch needed.

2. Jennifer January 20, 2016 at 3:19 pm - Reply

Was it terribly hard to learn to knit? I’ve been crocheting since around 9 or 10…

• Chandi January 21, 2016 at 11:43 am - Reply

It was harder for me… I took about 3 weeks until I felt comfortable.

• Aleise September 18, 2016 at 12:44 am - Reply

I enjoyed your video. I do have a few questions.
      What type of yarn ,length? I picked up a medium 4 , 482 yards. Why did you choose size 9 needles ? I’m in the hospital on bed rest until our baby girl arrived so I sent my husband and he brought back 13/9mm needles.

• Chandi October 21, 2016 at 12:25 pm - Reply

You’ll just want to use needles and yarn that you feel comfortable with. Sounds like you have good supplies!

3. Ginger January 20, 2016 at 3:47 pm - Reply

I love your AWESOME colorways! I would knit and crochet if I won this one. I am still learning basics and have been giving my wrists a long rest because for some reason my wrists act up when I do any amount of hooking or picking! I am anxious to get back into it again as soon as possible and haven’t had yarn I really love to do it with. I would do my next crochet and knitting learning projects with this yummy yarn! A set of coasters for my crochet project and a hotpad for my knitting project!

4. Mila January 22, 2016 at 10:37 am - Reply

What kind of yarn I need for this project? I am an absolute beginner and I have no idea what should I use. Is there any kind of dimension, number?.. xD

5. Monica February 1, 2016 at 2:42 pm - Reply

I crochet and I want to learn to knit better. I was hoping you used the continental knitting style because I like your videos. It is so much more efficient! Thank you for inspiring me to try knitting again though 🙂

• Chandi February 1, 2016 at 9:14 pm - Reply

Monica, you are welcome! I hope the video helps you. XOXO

6. Cathy February 3, 2016 at 1:00 am - Reply

I started knitting by watching you videos on you tube

7. Jenie February 3, 2016 at 4:18 pm - Reply

Hi! Part of my bucket list this year was to learn to knit. I bought a kit online from Amazon that supposedly came with everything you needed. The book it came with read like stereo instructions! I stumbled across your video online and was up and an running a few days later. I have made two scarfs and am currently making a blanket. Patterns still scare me to death…any suggestions for a newbie? So far I have only casted on, worked the knit stitch and casted off.

Thanks, Jenie

8. Connie February 13, 2016 at 10:31 pm - Reply

Is it easier to crochet or knit? We recently were at my husband niece’s house who crochets everything all day. She made the statement she wished she could knit and heard that it was easier to learn to knit first. I only know two crochet stitches a single and a double I have made 2 blankets with just those two stitches. If it is easier to learn to knit first I would do that. I bought a couple of knitting needle and have a few crochet hooks. Please let me know which is easier to start with. I unable to walk very good and would like a Hobbie I could learn to love. I would like to make presents for my grand children and my family. Thank you!!

• Chandi February 16, 2016 at 6:54 pm - Reply

Connie, I’ve heard both. Personally I think crochet is easier, but it just depends on the individual. 🙂

9. Jan February 19, 2016 at 3:21 pm - Reply

Chandi, you are a great teacher! Thank you.

10. Haley October 21, 2016 at 5:12 am - Reply

When knitting how do you keep the edges tight? I am using your headband patter and only using the Knit stitch, but the last stitch on every row seems loose and have to make sure it is really tight when knitting the first stitch on the next row. How can I prevent this and not let it grow?

• Chandi October 21, 2016 at 12:20 pm - Reply

Haley, good idea to keep it cinched. After you knit the first stitch, give it a nice tug. 🙂

11. Julie Valadez January 25, 2017 at 10:02 pm - Reply

I am an absolute beginer. I the lesson you recommend for beginners and loved your style of teaching. I would like to knit a basic newborn hat. Do you have a video recommendation?

12. Laura March 6, 2018 at 5:20 pm - Reply

Hi Chandi!
    I’m very new and I want to learn how to make socks. I just watched ur video. You are a wonderful teacher. I have struggled to learn how to do this. Keeping my chin up ! I’ll probly watch a dozen more times, lol
    My question is can a beginner make socks? Do you do a video for that?
    Thanks so very much😘

• Chandi March 8, 2018 at 11:33 am - Reply

Sure, a beginner can make socks! Unfortunately, I do not have a tutorial on how to do that. That should be something I work on in the future!