How to Twist a Hank / Skein of Hand-Dyed Yarn!

Hey, my lovely!

Have you ever gotten a skein of gorgeous hand-dyed yarn only to be unable to re-twist it properly?

Well, you are in luck! Today I am showing how to re-twist your hank! Woop woop!

Grab a skein of yarn and let’s get started!

This is a super handy technique to know if you’ll be buying any amount of hand-dyed yarn, so you can keep your skeins nice and tidy on the shelf.

Leave your skeins in the twisted hank format until you are ready to cast on your project. Then you’ll need to wind them into balls before beginning. Please DO NOT start knitting/crocheting directly from the opened hank. You will end up with a pile of yarn barf. AHHH!!

P.S. I hope you enjoyed this video! If you did, make sure to SUBSCRIBE to my YouTube channel here and sign up for email updates here! Oh so exciting! Have a great day!

By | 2017-10-18T12:46:15+00:00 October 18th, 2017|Tips & Tricks, Video Tutorials|9 Comments

1. Pat Pate October 23, 2017 at 7:17 pm - Reply

Very helpful. Also, didn’t realize I shouldn’t roll it into a ball until ready to use. I just love all your yarn.

2. Adele Johnstone Wright October 23, 2017 at 7:38 pm - Reply

What a fabulous giveaway! The most wonderful thing is my family they’re the ones who make life worth living for ๐Ÿ˜€

3. Karen Haggas October 23, 2017 at 8:01 pm - Reply

Thank you!!!!!! This is great! No more messy skeins ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Bonnie Kuhl October 23, 2017 at 9:05 pm - Reply

Thank you! I have never been able to figure out how this was done. PS. I so love your beautiful advertisements for the yarn you dye. Coordinating them
    with the beautiful photographs is so pretty.

5. Debra October 23, 2017 at 9:45 pm - Reply

I just love all your bright mixture of color. Thank you much for sharing with me. I was taught in Brown,s to crochet since then I have been using yarn for most of my life. I am 60 years old now and still crocheting , knitting to this day of Oct 23, 2017. I love working with my hands. It is a great way for therapy of any kind. Thank you so much.

6. alicia October 24, 2017 at 3:17 am - Reply

Good video- You make it look so easy. I always have trouble making the twist go all evenly when folding it in half. Will try your elbow trick ;p

7. Alice October 24, 2017 at 11:53 am - Reply

That was great! I’ve wanted to know how to do that! (I also learned how to pronounce your name! I was saying more like Shawn-dรญ.)

8. Leslie October 24, 2017 at 12:16 pm - Reply

Great video easy to follow now I have to try it ๐Ÿ˜บ

9. Janice Cappell October 25, 2017 at 1:21 pm - Reply

So very helpful… one of the benefits that I will get from this video, is the proper way to untwist the yarn when you are ready to create a โ€œball of yarn,โ€ where the yarn pulls out of the center top once made. I bought a Swifter and the companion piece that helps to create the magnificent balls of yarn for your upcoming project! I watched a video of both of these yarn tools, and learned how to get the job done!!

My husband bought me the Swifter and ball winder for my Birthday!! Perfect gift and I am enjoying using it!!