fbpx

How to EASILY Work Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-Off

/, Knitting, Video Tutorials/How to EASILY Work Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-Off

How to EASILY Work Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-Off

If you’ve been knitting awhile, you may have experienced what all knitters go through at some point or another. You spend weeks making a gorgeous item, cast off, only to find that the edging is TOO TIGHT!

You can banish this problem foreverrrr – errrr – errr – err – er…

Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-Off will fix this problem for you and all your edges will be SUPPPAH strettttchy.

My boo and I created this video for you (he filmed/edited and I just sat there) to demonstrate just how awesome this technique is!

In this video, I assume you know how to cast on, knit, purl and bind off in the usual way. If you’re an absolute beginner, please watch my previous how to knit and purl videos FIRST and become comfortable with knitting before attempting this technique.

Those videos can be found here:

HOW TO KNIT – For Absolute Beginners: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONVQCK_-rKc

HOW TO PURL – For Absolute Beginners: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UJcXclkbvg

The rule to remember for this technique is:

•Before every knit stitch, work a reverse yarn-over. Knit the stitch. Bind off.
•Before every purl stitch, work a regular yarn-over. Purl the stitch. Bind off.

You’ll see in the video how I do it.

And that’s it! It’s really super easy and simple! This creates a REALLLLLY stretchy bind off that is great for socks, shawls, scarves, sweaters and any other project where you want an incredibly stretchy bind off. It will change your knitting life forever!

I show you how to do this on some 1×1 ribbing I created.

However, what if you have 2×2 ribbing? Or all the stitches are knit? Or all of them are purl?

You can still definitely work this method! Just stick with the same rule listed above of doing a reverse yarn-over before every knit stitch and a regular yarn-over before every purl stitch. And voila. You will end up with a gorgeous, springy, stretchy edging that will make your knitted projects sigh with relief and glee.

There’s nothing worse than spending weeks creating a project you love only to cast off (bind off) too tightly and find that the item doesn’t fit over your hips or heel or head. EGADS! Nobody wants that!

I use this bind-off in almost EVERYTHING I make where I need a stretchy edge and highly recommend you add it to your list of bind-off techniques.

Remember to SUBSCRIBE to my channel if you liked this video so you don’t miss out on future episodes.

(BTW, I did NOT create this bind-off… that honor goes to Jeny Staiman, whom you can find here: http://www.ravelry.com/people/curiousjeny)

There you have it! Hope you enjoy!

XOXOXO

P.S. Please comment BELOW and let me know what videos you’d like to see in the future!

By | 2017-09-04T14:05:01+00:00 April 29th, 2014|Finishing Techniques, Knitting, Video Tutorials|13 Comments

1. Anna Benassi April 29, 2014 at 10:10 pm - Reply

Marvelous, Chandi, thanks! I’ll be back to watch this one for sure.

Best wishes to North Pole from Arctic Circle!

Ciao,

Anna from Iceland

2. Carol April 29, 2014 at 10:23 pm - Reply

I liked your recent video on Jeny’s bind off but it would be nice if you could also show it doing English knitting and Continental. I have a hard time figuring out the way you do it.

3. Kassandrah lent April 29, 2014 at 10:44 pm - Reply

Thank you!!!!! What is your suggestion for stretchy cast on? I usually go up a size or two in needles . But don’t know if there is a special way to make it stretchy.

4. TerryLee April 30, 2014 at 12:40 am - Reply

thanks Chandi
    This bind off is wonderful and I will be saving this . Will definetly be using this one in the future.

Thanks TerryLee

5. shari April 30, 2014 at 11:25 am - Reply

Thanks Chandi I just watched your tutorials and loved them. I’ve been wanting to learn to knit with my left hand and now I’ve seen it done! And that bind off is fantastic I have several projects I’ve been hesitating to finish because I have trouble binding off loosely. Thanks

• Yvonne May 3, 2016 at 5:52 am - Reply

I will try this, but I confess, I am not proficient with the regular yarn over. I will work on it.
      Thank you a lot!

6. Yolanda April 30, 2014 at 1:55 pm - Reply

Your video and happy personal style are so refreshing to watch. The instructions are always slow, clear and easily understandable. Most of all, I enjoy the radiantly grateful, bubbly, fun-loving style so clearly evident in your videos. Thanks, Chandi!

7. Pat Stankiewicz April 30, 2014 at 2:49 pm - Reply

Thanks, Chandi! I have heard of this bindoff, but never saw it or used it. Thought it would be too complicated. Thanks for showing just how easy it is!! I plan to use it at the very next opportunity.

8. Sharen Metts April 30, 2014 at 3:11 pm - Reply

I love making socks and I have never heard of this bind off; thanks so much! I can’t wait to use this.

9. Sarah April 30, 2014 at 4:13 pm - Reply

Excellent!!! I’ll be reviewing this till it’s set in my head! Great video!

10. nicole May 2, 2014 at 3:13 am - Reply

This is great! I’ve been looking at stretchy bindoffs and have been conundrumed by which one will work. I love that there is a knit and purl.

I would be interested in some blocking techniques.

11. Kathryn July 24, 2015 at 5:14 pm - Reply

Thanks for sharing this technique! I’m still working on my knitting skills and this will be a great bind off to use on several projects.

12. Barbara October 28, 2016 at 6:02 pm - Reply

“How would you make this stretchy as cast on when making the leggings which needs top and bottom to have stretch?