Turn Your Favorite Words and Phrases Into Yarn!

/, Inspiration/Turn Your Favorite Words and Phrases Into Yarn!

Turn Your Favorite Words and Phrases Into Yarn!

I had an idea!

Here’s what I’m needing from you.

COMMENT below and let me know:

• Your favorite word (or many!)
  • A phrase you adore (something I can use and not be infringing on any trademarks, etc.)
  • Include the colors you think would match up with that word or phrase

And then I will do my best to make them happen. Can’t make any promises, but I am really hoping to do a bunch of them for you!

I also can’t guarantee it’ll perfectly match what you envision, but hey. It’ll be fun.

As an example, check out this MAKE A SPLASH colorway, designed to help you feel juicy and positive and making a glorious splash of positivity wherever you go.

It can be anything… make up your own words! Write paragraphs!

I lean towards things that are empowering, inspiring, encouraging, sometimes fantastical or a bit quirky, but just go nuts. I might even branch into new areas!

I might do collections!

Oh lord, the possibilities are endless.

DO DO (do do?) comment below. I cannot WAIT to see these. Make sure you check back in the coming weeks to see if I used your words or phrases. I will keep referring back over the coming months, though, so keep posting as you think of new ideas.

Are you as excited as moi? OHHH!!!

Oh, comment away and I shall await your genius:

(Smooches)

By | 2016-02-01T21:20:06+00:00 February 1st, 2016|Dyeing Yarn, Inspiration|45 Comments

1. SallyJ February 1, 2016 at 9:30 pm - Reply

Oh my stars!
    Colors~ dark blues and teals and of course a shimmer!:)

2. Jen February 1, 2016 at 10:40 pm - Reply

Favorite word: onomatopoeia
    Favorite phrase: so shines a good deed in a weary world
    Colors: grays, Browns, or tans with bright splashes of blues and greens and yellows and oranges and other bright colors

• Sarah Nielsen February 4, 2016 at 9:27 pm - Reply

This is one of my favorite words too! I think of buzz, splash, bam! The colors should be active and fun.

3. Dorothy February 1, 2016 at 11:32 pm - Reply

Shades of sherbet

4. Chris February 2, 2016 at 12:08 am - Reply

Bring me sunshine 🙂 just think of all the sunny yellows oranges and reds 🙂

5. Heather February 2, 2016 at 12:27 am - Reply

Favorite phrase: All in
    Colors: Rainbow

Favorite abbreviation: BBN (Big Blue Nation)
    Color: Kentucky Blue (Royal Blue)

6. Darcy February 2, 2016 at 12:34 am - Reply

I love this idea! My phrase is “There’s always a paperclip!” Anyone who knows me knows that I love paperclips. They’re perfect, and there really is always a paperclip! (Now you’re going to see them everywhere too!)

I see it as being grays and silvers.

7. Malinda February 2, 2016 at 1:21 am - Reply

Phrase: Need to be drinking me wine spodie-odie. I see colors of all wines, deep wine, burgundy, sweet white, sun blush, pink zinfandel, white zinfandel, just envision the wine section of a liquor store.

8. Monica February 2, 2016 at 3:06 am - Reply

I think of doTERRA, and how it means Gift of the Earth. All of my beloved oils have beautiful plant and label colors!

9. Pati February 2, 2016 at 3:13 am - Reply

The trees if the field shalł clap their hands.

Fresh spring greens, Browns, yellows, pinks, and blue sky.

10. Teresa Berry February 2, 2016 at 3:13 am - Reply

Not my circus, not my monkeys. Definitely yellow , brown and green.

11. Sylvia February 2, 2016 at 3:15 am - Reply

Chamomile … yellow/white/green
    Squishy … I see this in soft rosy pink/medium brown/subtle lime green

My favorite phrase is … Everything happens for a reason

A phrase I adore is one my former boss used a LOT … It is what it is!

A phrase I love (and miss since I retired from the racetrack) … Annnnnnnd they’re off

Of course, I don’t think any of the phrases speak to specific colorways, but you are much more creative than I could ever hope to be and you might find color in one of them 🙂 🙂 I suppose a mish-mosh of horse colors might look pretty cool … brown/grey/chestnut

Can’t wait to see how you bring our words and phrases together in the colorful world of EFA

12. Tai Stewart February 2, 2016 at 4:03 am - Reply

Carpe Noctem (seize the night) : I see shades of dark blues blended with purple and shimmer, maybe a bit of silver to represent stars. Doesn’t hurt that night time has some amazing colors no matter where you are. 🙂

13. Tracy Bailey February 2, 2016 at 5:16 am - Reply

Phrase: Everything’s better with sprinkles! 😉 Bright, happy colors: yellows, blues, reds, pinks… hey, it’s sprinkles!

14. Frank February 2, 2016 at 12:45 pm - Reply

Groovy like a drive in movie

15. Trina Mechling February 2, 2016 at 1:58 pm - Reply

“May every sunrise hold more promise & every sunset hold more peace”
    Purples, reds, & pinks. There is nothing like a sunrise and/or sunset to make you see the beauty in the world.

“Life is like an ocean. It can be calm or still, and rough or rigid, but in the end it is always beautiful”
    Blues, greens, & purples.

16. Pat February 2, 2016 at 5:11 pm - Reply

Good friend are like stars. You don’t always see them, but you know they’re always there!

17. Kristina February 2, 2016 at 6:59 pm - Reply

Favorite word: Ethereal
    Favorite phrase: Cellar Door; it’s said to be one of the most purely beautiful phrases in the English language based solely on sound, without regard for its meaning. After I learned that and said it out loud a few times, I totally got it.
    I also really like the phrase “So it goes,” like from Kurt Vonnegut’s Slaughterhouse-Five. Such a beautiful sentiment and SUCH a beautiful book.

I imagine “cellar door having shimmering dark browns, bronzes, and maybe even a deep purple.
    “So it goes” I imagine as shades of gray with a hint of blue, like the sky before a storm.

This is such a cool idea, by the way!

18. Heather February 3, 2016 at 12:25 am - Reply

I love the colors of the yarn. I’m so happy I found this website!

19. Kate February 3, 2016 at 12:43 am - Reply

I have so many favorite words and phrases but here are a few:
    Kerfuffle (pinks and purples and a little bit of brown maybe?)
    Enigma (any colors that could be mysterious and unique, like brights with darks, or warms with cools)
    And just an idea connecting collections and phrases, doing some every now and then based off of song lyrics could be über cute. 🙂

20. Karen February 3, 2016 at 2:09 am - Reply

“Yes, I can!” (My grandson was 4 at the time he announced to his Daddy that he could accomplishment something Daddy was sure he couldn’t! Well, 6 years later Hayden is still doing great things at age 10!)

I see BOLD positive colors starting with crimson and cream in a bulky Dewy DK. Then for “Yes, I can 2!”, I’d like to see a mixture of several BOLD colors. I know you could come up with a lively, chic colorwork in a pearlescent (or whatever would compliment the colorwork best)!

This is a fantastic idea. Great thinking, Chandi! ?

Karen

21. Marissa February 3, 2016 at 3:17 am - Reply

Favorite Phrase: Leap of Faith
    Colors: Dove white with shades of yellow and heather grey

22. Monica February 3, 2016 at 3:32 am - Reply

Sunset…pink and gold and yellow and clouds!
    “Quit ur belly achin!” Maybe happy colors like yellow and….
    “Christmas time is here” red and gold. or purple and silver. not sure if that is a copyright.
    “Green with envy”

23. Marie February 3, 2016 at 4:34 pm - Reply

Shenanigans
    Shades of green

24. Trina Mechling February 4, 2016 at 11:02 am - Reply

“Noone is old until they get rid of their dreams” Sister Jerome, an amazing 100yr old Ursuline nun from Youngstown Ohio who is still teaching to help others get their GED & still has dreams.
    A rainbow of colors

25. Sarah Nielsen February 4, 2016 at 9:36 pm - Reply

I love words. You could use “atavistic”. It refers to genetic traits that skip several generations and then show up like nature’s surprise. I don’t know how you’d yarn this, but it’d be cool. “Countenance” is also one of my favorites. You could do lots of colors with this, like a loving countenance or cheerful or peaceful etc. You could also do like hair or eye colors (strawberry blonde or brown-eyed girl or hazel).

26. Maria February 5, 2016 at 3:28 am - Reply

Love the one your with

27. Laura Lee Evans-Gray February 7, 2016 at 6:19 pm - Reply

“Such is Life” – I envision it in beautiful sunrise/sunset colors with wee dark patches shouldered with silver to represent the silver lining in every dark spot we encounter in life and the great lessons we can take away from the dark spots we encounter. It’s all in the mindset.

“No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt. I envision a very strong, rich, deep, bold purple to indicate the spirituality and wholeness of the strength of a woman stepping into her own power.

28. Jennifer February 7, 2016 at 6:32 pm - Reply

Thin Blue Line(police) Thin Gold Line(Dispatchers) and Thin Red Line(Fire) I see a black yarns with a long striping of the Blue, Gold or Red….I guess that would be three different yarns, but I’d love to have them! I am a police dispatcher, and the fire dispatchers are in the same room with us.

29. Karen W. February 11, 2016 at 7:06 am - Reply

I always say “Cool Beans”. I envision a dark red kidney bean color with cool tones rather than warm. My boyfriend and I are always coming up with crazy words, but I’ve blanked out right now. Although, ” Blanked Out” itself isn’t that bad. You do a “Blanketed Out” and put together kits with different colors to make a big comfy blanket, kinda like the kits you put together with your cotton yarn. Maybe use a bulky weight merino. Yum!!!

30. Bonobo February 11, 2016 at 8:34 pm - Reply

I love this idea! Mine are all physics related because that’s pretty much my life right now *_*

Aether (or “æther” if you can get the character to actually render) : A swirling mix of greys, browns, cremes and sepia tones, like a faded vintage photograph or something locked away for decades and allowed to just gather dust.

Spherical Cow: I know everyone thinks of black-and-white dairy cows but cows come in lots of colors, even spherical ones. The red-brown highland cows or tawny/fawn colored beef cows come to my mind for this and I think those colors would look great together in a semi-solid color scheme.

Dragon in the Garage: Something dark and iridescent, like a black opal or a sunbeam snake, but more muted and subtle. I think of streaks of very dark blue, purple, green, red all overlaid with black, so you can’t really pin down what color you’re looking at.

31. Karen W. February 14, 2016 at 4:15 am - Reply

Made up word, “Wabylicious”.
    Phrase, “Squiggly Little Goulash”.

32. Emily February 16, 2016 at 5:15 am - Reply

Discombobulated is my favorite word. Maybe some bright bubby colors.

Jade palace- swirls of greens

Thunderstorm- dark blue, black , silvery purple for lightning, greys

33. Aida February 17, 2016 at 9:30 pm - Reply

We are all starstuff :). It’s a phrase used by Carl Sagan in one of the episodes of Cosmos, but I’m pretty sure there would be no copyright issue since he was just stating a scientific fact ;).

34. Samia February 18, 2016 at 12:32 pm - Reply

“You gotta laugh to keep from crying” Maybe pink, yellow, and blue?

35. Christine February 22, 2016 at 12:54 am - Reply

I love this idea. I love word games and writing challenges. One of my favorite words is “Alliteration”. The colors should be blended blues. Or pearly pinks and purples. (see how easy that was?) My favorite phrase is one I hope will catch on. “Oh my comets!” and I see it in black, midnight blue and dark purple with flecks of white and icy blue. Boy, oh boy, you got a lot of work ahead of you with this one. There are SO many good ones!

36. LInda Mc February 22, 2016 at 10:48 pm - Reply

Peaceful (Colors) Pink/lavender hue

37. LInda Mc February 23, 2016 at 3:56 am - Reply

I love the reminder to come back to the moment. When I practice it I feel very peaceful. Pink/lavender hues are very peaceful for me.

38. Kaaren February 24, 2016 at 8:25 pm - Reply

Being facetious – which means treating serious issues with deliberate inappropriate humor. So this could be a mix of dark and bright colors.

39. Maria February 27, 2016 at 3:58 am - Reply

Kale yes! -Greens
    Sunny side of the moon -yellows whites creams
    Crazy in love -hot pink orchid magenta
    Great balls of fire -red orange yellow
    Birds in flight – blues pinks white

40. Nicole McCormick March 2, 2016 at 4:59 pm - Reply

Okay. I have reasons for this but I’m hoping other people will enjoy it too. I always hope that.

Forbidden Love

I always imagined it with darker colors. Like black and a dark reddish color. Kind of like the forbidden aspect of it. But lately I’ve been thinking that maybe there could also be a pop of lighter color for the love aspect of it because it is still love. Not white or cream though.

41. Courtney Roberts March 5, 2016 at 5:24 am - Reply

I was walking with my nephew one day and he asked why the moon follows him and I told him: “The moon is your spotlight and the earth is your stage.”

Colors:
    Dark Blue (for the sky), white or silver (for the stars), brown (for the trees), forest green (for the leaves), dark red (for some flowers) maybe that would work….

42. Sandy McKean March 11, 2016 at 4:10 pm - Reply

“Life Is Beautiful”

I would love to see a color way of black, taupe, and cream. I think together these colors are elegant maybe even a little silver or gold sparkle
    Thanks Chandi. ???

43. Angela Haley April 12, 2016 at 4:13 am - Reply

Nothing but a Hound dog

Hounds come in a variety of color schemes. I would love to see tri-colored in black white and tan. I can send you a photo of what I have in mind!

44. Hailey July 3, 2017 at 7:32 am - Reply

I think of the ocean like ocean deep
    Coolers are dark blues purples and light blues maybe a litter shimmer to