How to Crochet a Snowflake

How to Crochet a Snowflake

This easy tutorial for crocheting a snowflake is sure to please.

These make great ornaments for your holiday decorations and you’ll want to whip out dozens of them.

And they’re fast, so you’ll have a whole slew of them in no time.

Have a watch:

Due to all the many requests, I had a reader write down the pattern if you prefer text to video:

Materials: Small amount of fingering weight yarn

Size 0 crochet hook

Darning needle

Pins and cardboard to block

—–

Start with a magic circle or wind yarn around finger three times with end of yarn at tip of finger. Slide hook under yarn and pull third loop under the first two loops then slide off finger.

Round 1: Chain 5, counts as first double crochet, chain 2. *Double crochet through both loops, chain 2. Repeat from * four more times. Gently pull tail to gather then slip stitch into chain 5 to join.

Round 2: Chain 3 and work 3 double crochet in chain 2 space, chain 2. *Work four double crochet in next chain 2 space, chain 2. Repeat from * four more times. Join to top of chain three.

Round 3: * Slip stitch in each double crochet across to chain 2 space and slip stitch in chain 2 space. Chain 3, slip stitch, chain 5, slip stitch, chain 7, slip stitch, chain 5, slip stitch, chain 3 slip stitch, all in same chain 2 space. Repeat from * five more times, cut yarn leaving a long tail and pull through loop.

To create loop to hang, use darning needle to weave end through one of the points. Do the same with the other end and tie.

To block, you can dampen the snowflake with just water and pin at each point to a piece of cardboard and let dry. For a stiffer snowflake it can be blocked using equal parts water and glue. You can also sprinkle with glitter for a sparkly snowflake after applying the glue/water mixture.

—–

Enjoy, my sweet and thanks for stopping by.

Be sure to check out my other knitting and crocheting tutorials here and subscribe to my YouTube channel here if you’re so inclined.

XOXOXO

By | 2017-09-04T14:04:49+00:00 January 2nd, 2016|Crochet, Crochet Patterns, Finished Objects, Video Tutorials|7 Comments

1. Marlis January 3, 2016 at 1:22 pm - Reply

I was scrolling around on face book and any yarn or knitting I stop to look at. Always interested in something new.
    My grandmother taught me how to crochet when I was a child but I taught myself how to knit about 5 yrs ago

2. Wilfredo January 5, 2016 at 4:20 am - Reply

This is just very nice and interesting, Im a begginer and Zi hope ti do all Your orijects together soñé othervtime…thanks very much gir all This beautyfull works you have…

3. Karren January 10, 2016 at 1:17 am - Reply

My mother and I both took a knitting class back when I was about 12 back in the 60s. She preferred sewing and didn’t stick with it. I also stopped until later in life and now am totally addicted. Always have at least two projects on needles at the same time. Love luxury yarns and your colors along with the photos that inspired you leave me drooling!

4. Catherine January 20, 2016 at 7:21 pm - Reply

I’ve been following you for a while (you are all over my Pinterest!) and today, when I saw the dying with Koolaid post I was thrilled — it’s a project I can do with my grandson while also giving him something I’ve crocheted. Then I realized I really need to say thank you! Of course your yarns are glorious and I will treat myself to some soon, and I realize it’s your business….but Chandi, your sparkling spirit shines through every post and your generosity with time and tutoring is simply grand. Much love and admiration from the soon-to-be snowy east coast!

• Chandi January 20, 2016 at 8:02 pm - Reply

Oh thank you, Catherine!! This just makes my day!

5. Suzette October 25, 2016 at 9:23 am - Reply

Hi Chandi
    Thank you for this lovely and easy to follow video. This year I shall have them on my Christmas tree . Seeing as we have a Summer Christmas and I have a white Christmas on my bucket list I am very happy to be making these for my tree and as gifts for friends.
    Regards
    From Cape Town South Africa
    Suzette

6. Deb November 12, 2017 at 1:49 am - Reply

Thank you so much. I love this snowflake. It was so easy to follow your video. I’ll be making quite a few of these.