Spilled Wine Woven Scarf – Finished Object

/, Scarves and Cowls, Weaving/Spilled Wine Woven Scarf – Finished Object

Spilled Wine Woven Scarf – Finished Object

Well, it happened.

I was sitting there all innocent-like in my living room one day, minding my own business, when it hit me:

The idea to weave a scarf with this Spilled Wine yarn.

It had to be done.

I raced up the stairs.

Hauled my 25″ Schacht flip loom (and 10 dpi heddle) out of my tiny craft room.

Plopped down in the middle of the living room floor and proceeded to warp my loom.

By the next day, it was done. And THAT… is why I love weaving. It gets the job done and fasssst.

weave a scarf

I took it out on a picnic lunch with my boo, for the fourth of July and it was heavenly to use.

Snuggly. Cozy. Not too warm, not too cool. Just right.

A bit funky. Elegant. Soft.

It “melts” into a beautiful puddle of fabric.

how to weave a scarf

And no, I did not make my hat. Got it at Old Navy.

hand made scarf pattern

spilled wine scarf woven

yarn scarf pattern

We made a new friend:

spilled wine yarn

He got bored with our conversation and waddled off.

The yarn is my Spilled Wine, dyed onto my now-sold-out jumbo skein of merino wool, alpaca and silk all blended together.

This colorway comes and goes so have a peek on the site and click the little search spyglass to see if we have it listed. It’s currently listed here.

This colorway sells out every time we list it. So populah.

I gave the scarf a bit of a wash and allowed to air dry and voila. Easy. Done. Perfection. Happy me. It’s about 14″ x 70″.

Another thing I love about weaving is that it doesn’t hurt your wrists. If you ever find your hands/arms/wrists hurting from too much knitting or crocheting, then you definitely should give weaving a try! It’s fantastic! I spent years debating on if I needed another hobby and am so glad I finally took the plunge.

How I Learned to Weave

Craftsy! I took their Rigid Heddle Weaving class and Beyond the Basics and loved them both.

Does it bother you that I left the fringes different lengths on each side?

spilled wine woven scarf pattern

So if you’ve thought about weaving, go ahead and give it a try. Not sure where to get a loom?

You can ask your local yarn store or do a quick google search!  I got mine at Paradise Fibers.

I also have a Cricket loom which is ideal to start with if you aren’t quite sure you need a larger loom and Craftsy sells those. (af link)

Also, on the moving front…

We appreciate all the supportive and sweet comments and messages coming in about our move!

Here are a few updates for you.

1. We haven’t packed a thing. I started to…and then stopped. It’ll get done.

2. We’re really low on certain dye colors and yarn bases so have been selling what we have. Once moved, we’ll get in loads of new goodies! I’m talking with several yarn mills right now, and hope to soon have a custom luxury sock yarn for you! Fingers crossed!

3. We leave in 3.5 weeks.

4. If you missed my post about it, you can find that here.

5. We’re excited but enjoying each day we have left here.

6. I’ve been doing wayyyyy more yarn dyeing than usual and had a few moments last week of thinking I couldn’t go on. But I went on! After a long nap, some coffee and Johnny Depp in Chocolat. Love that movie.

I’m already thinking about fall colors for you and will be listing some richer, darker shades this week, including some jewel tones.

So stay tuned.

THANKS for reading! Have I told you lately how much I appreciate you?

Well, I do.

Until next time,

Over and out.

By | 2017-09-04T14:05:01+00:00 July 13th, 2014|Finished Objects, Scarves and Cowls, Weaving|20 Comments

1. Teresa Sheehan July 13, 2014 at 11:08 pm - Reply

You are so talented! Good luck with your move and Happy Creating!

2. Constance July 13, 2014 at 11:27 pm - Reply

It’s beautiful! Weaving has been something I’ve considered (along with my knitting, crocheting and spinning), but we (my husband and me) are about to go through some major life changes and another piece of furniture is not practical at the moment. At some point it is something I want to get into though and I hope to do it as well as you do!

• Eleonora July 14, 2014 at 12:42 am - Reply

Hey Constance, I did it, and now have 4 all different sizes and acquired a 36″ floor loom. I started with the 10″ cricket, (its small and you put in on your lap and weave) and have made several blankets with it. Loads of fun, you can play with colour. Go for it.

3. Kelley Demers July 13, 2014 at 11:31 pm - Reply

Absolutely beautiful!! Love the colors!

4. Cora July 14, 2014 at 12:22 am - Reply

Dear Chandi.
    Would love to learn to weave, just have to take the plunge,I guess! Love the scarf you made. I am so having fun with all the great yarns I bought during your sale and before. Can’t say thank you enough for the Tranquility silk. The color is amazing!!!!
    Until next time,

Cora

5. Eleonora July 14, 2014 at 12:45 am - Reply

Hey Chandi, Love your blogs, your scarf is gorgeous. Yes, I’ve woven several, have 4 different size looms. Love to play with colour, have also made blankets, making strips and sewing them together. Enjoy your move 🙂
    eleonora

6. Cynthia Henriquez July 14, 2014 at 7:36 am - Reply

First of all, your skin is amazing!! 🙂
    I’m totally loving this scarf, and the colors weave up awesomely together! I’ve been considering getting a loom, and this is definitely inspiring! The different length fringes add interest. I love it!! 🙂
    Start packing, girl! I waited last minute to pack and regretted it 😛

7. Valerie Gayman July 14, 2014 at 1:31 pm - Reply

HAHA!!! I chuckle every post! “So Populah” is my new favorite saying!!! Good luck and keep us posted!

8. Marcy Kanapaux July 14, 2014 at 1:41 pm - Reply

I love this, so pretty! I love weaving to and will most likely use my June yarn club Sunken Treasure to weave one for me!!

9. Stephanie Easlick Thompson July 15, 2014 at 3:32 am - Reply

Dear Chandi,
    I love your scarf. I believe everything you create is absolutely lovely! I was wondering, since you are a hat person, did you make the hat you are wearing in the photo with your newly woven scarf? It is soooo coooolll! If so, is the pattern available for sale from you?

Stephanie T.

10. EllenCF July 15, 2014 at 11:44 pm - Reply

How much yarn did the scarf take to weave? What is the weaving width, set, etc.?

• Chandi July 16, 2014 at 1:08 am - Reply

It was about 500 yards of a worsted weight yarn. 🙂

11. Linda Feldman July 16, 2014 at 12:33 am - Reply

I think about your move and totally can feel for you. Over the last 40 years we have moved 8 times (my husband’s company moved us). Pack a little each day. My last move was on our own. I packed 5 boxes per day and over 30 days got it all done. I hope it all goes smoothly for you & Hubby.

12. Lynda M Otvos July 16, 2014 at 12:49 am - Reply

Weaving is one of the coolest crafts out there. I did two semesters at the local Art Center and made a couple wall hangings that I mounted and put on my bedroom wall-pretty neat art form, I found. I bought a Bavarian Lap Loom that makes about 12 by 16 inch pieces. I made a dozen small pieces on that one and then bought a Kliot that i still haven’t used but I will. I promise. The literature claims that you can use a LONG warp on it and so that’s what I want to do. Must read the info!~!

Your scarf is downright stunning. I’d love to make one similar to it. It looks like a simple weave-don’t know what it’s called but is it one over, one under, ad infinitum ?~!

• Chandi July 16, 2014 at 1:07 am - Reply

Yes, just a basic weave! Nothing fancy. Just back and forth, back and forth. 🙂

13. Jeanett Marsicano July 16, 2014 at 4:48 am - Reply

…OLD NAVY?!?!?! Whatttt!!! Lol that is so funny to me! And I agree with the young lady that said you need to get a move-on (pun intended) and not wait til the last minute to pack… … … I’ll be moving again in March and I want to start NOW! I HATE it! (Whatever you do, though, you’ll be fine, I’m sure of that!)

14. tbroome July 17, 2014 at 2:30 am - Reply

Hi there:
    I was googling how to use a spinning wheel, someone just gave me one, and I found your youtube tutorial, very nice. Came over to visit your blog. I live in NC and not to be a wet blanket, not sure where you are thinking of moving to in NC, but check out the areas carefully. Our idiotic state government just passed legislation to allow fracking and passed policy to protect the secrecy of the chemicals the fracking companies use in the fracking water. We were planning to buy a farm in Stokes County to get out of Chatham County where they are in the beginning stages of fracking here, only to find out there is fracking on the agenda in Stokes County too. Our governor is also pushing legislation for off shore drilling off of our beautiful outer banks. They have shut down much of the beach access in preparation for oil companies to come in. The state is getting more and more populated with drug companies (pharmacy, not cartels 🙂 and oil/natural gas companies coming in. I was born here, love North Carolina, but I fear for what our government is allowing for the sake of greed and money. Just do your homework…. NC is a beautiful state and there is so much to do here, although it has been really HOT and humid, in the upper 90’s this week, the winters are mild and pleasant. Good luck with your move, just watch out for the fracking counties!!!

15. Karen Wolk July 18, 2014 at 6:41 am - Reply

GORGEOUS colors! I am also an oil painter and I just LOVE the colors you put together. I haven’t painted in a long while, but you are inspiring me every day! Good luck with your move. A friend of mine just went on vacation for a week in the mountains of NC, so hopefully she’ll be regaling me with stories from her trip.:)

16. mike March 15, 2015 at 3:28 am - Reply

if the model is you and this is not meant to be vulgar you are breathtaking beaytiful.i have not seen a woman so beautiful in many yrs\
    ]