A Dream Come True… Our Trip to Maui

/, Travel Updates/A Dream Come True… Our Trip to Maui

A Dream Come True… Our Trip to Maui

There was a time in my life when I only dreamed of going on exotic vacations. I used to imagine sitting on a beach, the hazy sun fading behind the horizon… people quietly strolling by.

I’d imagine standing next to the vast and powerful ocean at midnight, the moon smiling down on me and glittering off the water.

I’d picture myself dancing slowly at night with my man, to a live band, out on the beach…

Fruity drinks with pineapples and umbrellas in them.

But for one reason or another, I just didn’t go. Year after year. What if this happened? What if that? What about the money? I just didn’t go.

Until I did.

My boo and I took our lil’ booties over to Maui for the new year! And lemme tell ya, it was like heaven on earth!

What an absolutely ideal vacation… Here’s the low down on what we did and I’m sure it will continue to influence me in my writing and creating. Hawaii-themed yarn colors? PERHAPS! 🙂

• Layed around the first day. I attempted to make yarn out of cotton balls. Failed. Posted about it and you all thought I was crazy for not being on the beach. HA HA! make yarn from cotton balls
  • Ate delicious pineapple pancakes and got our marriage license. Pineapple pancakes cheeseburger in paradise

Last Day of the Year:

• Spent the next day playing on the beach and taking photos:    running on beach in Maui

bikini hawaii maui beach  running on kihei maui beach male

• Went to the aquarium and saw cool stuff like hammer head sharks and sting rays. aquarium maui ocean center hawaii
    hammer head sharks sting rays maui ocean center hawaii
  • Saw the banyan tree park. Pretty cool!  It was all one big tree but looked like a big forest of them!
  • banyan tree park lahaina maui Drank juice fresh from a sugar cane.

eating hawaii sugar cane

• Went on a helicopter ride over Molokai/West Maui. It was amazing! We used the Blue Hawaiian company and they were awesome! They played music in our headphones which matched the scenery we were flying over. So we had ominous takeoff music (ha ha!) and then, for example, they played Skyfall by Adele as we were coursing over the gorgeous Molokai mountains and waterfalls. Like a movie!!Hawaii Vacation-27blue hawaiian helicopter ride
    blue hawaiian helicopter ride

First Day of the New Year!

• Woke up at 3:45 and drove to the summit of Haleakala to watch the sunrise. FREEZING!!! If you do this, take a blanket and wear every warm thing you brought with you. The wind was crazy! haleakala sunrise haleakala summit sunrise worth it

Time for Magic!

• Went to Warren and Annabelle’s Magic Show. They fed us appetizers, desserts and drinks in a parlor and then Annabelle the ghost played piano for us, even taking requests! Then Warren performed a 2 hour, close-up magic show and we got to sit right up next to him in the front row!

The BIG DAY!

Hawaii Vacation-42
getting married in Maui
maui hawaii wedding pictures
maui hawaii wedding ring

• I got my nails done, took a shower, did my hair and makeup. The fella worked out.
  • We moseyed on down to Mokapu Beach, where our guitar player was strumming on a grassy knoll, waiting for us.
  • We got a few pics before the ceremony by random strangers.
  • Kimo performed our ceremony and Jessica from Anna Kim photography took our photos. I’ll post those once we get them!
  • I used Leah Robb of Island Wedding Memories as the wedding planner and lemme tell ya… SO WORTH IT! I can’t write enough praises! She took care of everything, from setting the marriage license appointment to giving us directions to hiring everyone involved, getting our cake, making my bouquet, picking the beach, etc. WORTH IT, WORTH IT, WORTH IT. Just to have someone taking care of our big day put my mind to rest and made the whole experience magical!
  • During our ceremony, Kimo did a Hawaiian chant and prayer for us, a rainbow broke out of the clouds and then the sunset was absolutely out of this world.
  • My dress got SOAKED and FILTHY ($260 dry cleaning bill a few days later) and was so worth every second. We climbed out onto some rocks, risking our lives in the windy, wild surf and were basically in heaven. THAT is how I wanted my wedding to be and I loved it more than words can say.
  • Leah set us a reservation to eat after at Humuhumunukunukuapua’a. That is a restaurant in the Grand Wailea. It was heavenly.
  • My drink was in a coconut, fish swam underneath us, and they gave us a free, congratulatory dessert.
  • On the way out, Tim spotted several Fernando Botero sculptures, which iced off his night perfectly and I got a real live orchid lei.
  • Perfection.

The Day After…

• I promptly went and had my acrylic french tips removed. The nail guy was appalled and kept insisting he could just file them down or something. No, I said… I wanted them OFF and now. I can’t stand nails for too long as they hurt and I can’t type worth a pooey.
  • Lazed around, ate good food and rested. maui sunset picture

Epicness Continues!

• Oh, man, oh man, oh man!!! We went ziplining with the Flyin’ Hawaiian zipline company and it was one of our FAVORITE things EVER. Seriously.    flyin hawaiian zipline  flyin hawaiian zipline
  • 2.5 miles of actual zipping… The longest zip being 3500 feet.
  • The view was in a word… SPECTACULAR.
  • The crowd of people we were with and the crew keeping us all safe (wink wink) were amazing, fun and enjoyable.
  • Without question, DO THIS if you go to Maui… Flyin’ Hawaiian Zipline…
  • OH. The other cool thing is this zipline was started to preserve the natural beauty of the Hawaiian mountains, so it wouldn’t become commercialized. We even watered some hibiscus plants to give back to the earth. Loved it.

Massage Anyone?

• More good food, drinks and lounging at the pool.
  • And a couple’s massage in Wailea by two of the sweetest ladies ever!
  • They recommended we go on a whale watch… so…

The Whales

• We went whale watching with the Pacific Whale Foundation.
  • I honestly didn’t know what I was expecting, but was happily surprised.
  • We saw DOZENS of whales! Most were in the distance, so pictures just look like specks of nothing.
  • But… one boat near us got stuck in whale jail. By law, you can’t get closer than 100 yds from a humpback whale, since they are endangered, and if they come too close to you, you have to stop and wait for them to leave. So this boat was stuck in “whale jail” and couldn’t move because a teenage humpback was playing and splashing all around their boat. It was so cool and we got as close as we could to see it, but still had to remain a ways away. AMAZING!!! So majestic. Scary. Powerful… beautiful. humpback whale in maui

Double Rainbow All the Way! double rainbow all the way

• We woke up to some sprinkling outside and…and… a full, resplendent double rainbow.
  • We raced down the elevator to get outside and get a full picture of it.
  • It was so bright and epic… I’m telling you, one epic thing after another kept happening this whole vacation!
  • We drove up by Paia and the north shore and watched surfers and the enormous, frenzied waves crashing on the rocks.
  • And waddled right up to this lil’ gal! A 3-ft long sea turtle, just basking in the sun. Epic again. And more rainbows (we saw about 7 the whole trip) sea turtle maui hawaii paia

Shopping

• The final day, we did a smidge of shopping and rock-scouting on the beach. I found a couple pretty stones and shells and bought some LUSH skin care which is divine! (Did you know I used to sell skincare/cosmetics? Someday I might open up a super cool, smell-goody/colorful/eco-friendly/giving back kinda skin care company. That’d be awesome!!) maui hawaii
    hawaii maui beach palm trees
    maui beach man hawaii

Home

And now we’re back home! Unpacked, resting and happy. 🙂

So if you’re debating on a vacation to Maui, just DO IT!

Other tips:

• We stayed in Kihei, the more layed back, south side of the island, in the Maui Coast Hotel.
  • Used trip advisor for nearly everything to check out ratings and reviews
  • We used the Maui Revealed Guidebook a LOT!!! It helped so much to prep us for the trip.
  • Set reservations for nearly everything! Lots of restaurants (like Sansei) were booked and hard to get into.
  • Everyone dresses very casual, so pack a bunch of comfy, cool clothing.
  • Take something warm for night, though, like a cardigan, as the wind was a bit chilly.

Now I’m knitting and exploring my plans for the New Year…I have SOOO many goodies for you! New yarn bases, tons of new colors, plans to give back and pay it forward, how to videos and loads of crafty goodness.

I hope you liked the pictures and that they inspire you to plan and get away sometime this year!

Let me know what you think in the comments below and I will read every single comment!!

XOXOXO

By | 2017-09-04T14:05:02+00:00 January 14th, 2014|Life Musings, Travel Updates|45 Comments

1. Wanda Palinkas January 16, 2014 at 2:08 am - Reply

looks fabulous!!! so happy you had such a wonderful wedding and honeymoon. You both look blissful.

Much love and blessings to you both

Wanda

2. Linda January 16, 2014 at 2:18 am - Reply

I’m so happy for you and your new “boo” 😀 my dream vacay is Hawaii… this year is our 40th anniversary (we married when we were still teenagers) and this will be a definite wonderful anniversary destination. Glad you are home, rested, and sooo happy! Congratulations <3

• Colleen January 16, 2014 at 6:19 am - Reply

Linda, we were going to go to Hawaii for our Honeymoon. We didn’t go. A year before our 40th anniversary I told my husband it was now or never. Well we went and it was Maui that we chose. We loved it and these pictures just bring it all back. I loved it. That was three years ago and I want to go back! So go. Don’t wait. Just go.
      Chandi so glad you went for your honeymoon! Congratulations to you both!

3. Tammy January 16, 2014 at 2:23 am - Reply

It sounds amazing and wonderful and you so deserve it!! So happy for you!!!

4. Bridget January 16, 2014 at 2:31 am - Reply

Hi Chandi,

Looks like you had an amazing time! I’m so happy for you! Your pictures look great! We hope to go to Maui in 2015. We went to Oahu last February and had a great time. It is so nice to feel warmth in the middle of winter!

Bridget

5. TrishCarp January 16, 2014 at 2:35 am - Reply

Beautiful pictures and story. Thanks for sharing!

6. Kymber January 16, 2014 at 2:38 am - Reply

Oh how wonderfully, amazingly, perfect!!!!!!! BTW your turtle looks to be doing a bit more than resting, she has dug her nose in which usually means she is getting ready to lay a clutch of eggs. We have rescue centers on Galveston and South Padre, highly recommend a Padre vacation I fell in love with that place, anyway you can watch them release the babies back into the ocean. Riddleys are protected so you can’t get too close to them unless they swim up to you, so watching those babies scurry out to the ocean is usually as close to them most people get. I’m a turtle lover because of that place.
    Hubby and I got engaged in Maui, in a gazebo at the Hyatt headed back from a Luau and a perfect night walk on the beach. We had to watch every sunset they are so perfect. I can’t wait to see all the pictures, so glad it was all you dreamed of!!!!!!!

7. Josie January 16, 2014 at 2:38 am - Reply

Thank you so much for sharing your adventure in Maui. Maui us truly magical. God bless your marriage.

8. Janet M January 16, 2014 at 2:40 am - Reply

An absolute fairytale come true for you, Chandi! Congratulations on what sounds like an epic task to plan but executed so relaxingly!!
    Your writing is as enticing as your wool! You may have even convinced me to try Kihei, instead of Kaanapali next trip! And the zip-line if my elder body stays young enough to enjoy it!
    May you experience many happy years together in your marriage to Tim!

9. Robin Comfort January 16, 2014 at 2:42 am - Reply

I am so glad you had an awesome wedding and trip!

I am looking forward to some Hawaiian honeymoon yarn colors! …wink…wink…

10. Mia Nirmala January 16, 2014 at 2:42 am - Reply

I really enjoyed read your story. Congratulations for your wedding, Chandi 🙂
    I will go to Maui and eat pineapple pancakes !

11. Carol Pool January 16, 2014 at 2:45 am - Reply

I’ve been to Maui several times and all of the other islands, too! Molokai was the island where the Marines trained to go to Viet Nam in the early 60’s. We took the ferry over to see the island. I’ve sat under the same banyan tree – great shopping nearby. The whale watching this time of year is amazing because the females come to the quiet Hawaiian waters to give birth. Watched one mom teach her baby how to breach! The only thing you missed were the flowers because it is winter in Hawaii, too. I’m so glad you had a great time. Hugs and love

12. Debra January 16, 2014 at 2:49 am - Reply

So happy that your special time together was everything your dreamed. It looks wonder-filled, and you both are radiant!

13. Susan Jarvis January 16, 2014 at 2:49 am - Reply

Glad you had a wonderful time. Your photos are gorgeous and your descriptions of your activities very entertaining. Bes wishes on your new life together.

14. Sarah January 16, 2014 at 3:06 am - Reply

It looks like a very happy time. Congratulations to you both!

15. Esther January 16, 2014 at 3:06 am - Reply

Most beautiful!!!!

You are an inspiration in so many ways!

Love and blessings to you and your hubbi!

16. Cindy January 16, 2014 at 3:12 am - Reply

Congratulations, Chandi. Your time in Hawaii sounds perfect, making for the perfect start to a beautiful marriage.
    Glad to have you back!!

17. Linda Knisley January 16, 2014 at 3:15 am - Reply

Welcome back Mrs. Chandi 😉

Thank you for sharing your wonderful wedding and honeymoon with us! Your wedding sounds like a dream some true, and I wish you and your boo a lifetime of love and joy.

Did you come up with a name for the turtle? She (he?) is so cool! I can only hope one day to be able to go to Maui.

A whole bunch of Hawaii inspired colorways would be AWESOME!!

18. Tracy January 16, 2014 at 3:19 am - Reply

Wow! I’m so happy that you had an amazing time! You were an absolutely gorgeous bride and the groom isn’t too shabby himself! 😉 All the best to you both in your newly wedded life!

19. Sharon Keller January 16, 2014 at 3:21 am - Reply

I want to first thank you for sharing all of this. I feel as though it is a gift to each of us to feel a piece of your love and what you got to experience. Not everyone gets to do this but you two DID and I am so pleased you got to. Hawaii is someplace I have never been and always wanted to so I love seeing everything. I wish you both love, joy and happiness always 🙂

20. Stephanie Buter January 16, 2014 at 3:23 am - Reply

Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful start to the New Year! Your dress was gorgeous – glad you picked this one! Hawaii is my dream vacation – on my bucket list. I’ll keep your notes for planning purposes. Glad you made it back safe and sound. Congratulations!

21. Cheryl Brake January 16, 2014 at 3:29 am - Reply

My son and his ex lived in Kihei and had my granddaughter there. I went over to meet both of the girls and stayed in Kihei, also. Maui is really awesome with so much to do and see. Without the crazy crowds on Oahau. I’m glad you went there, more enjoyable by far. You were there at the perfect time for whale watching!

Thank you for your pictures and sharing your bliss with us!

I can’t wish you both enough happiness in the years to come.

Congratulations!

22. Nancy January 16, 2014 at 3:31 am - Reply

Thank you so much for sharing! Looks as though you had an incredible time!
    Wishing you many happy years together!
    So glad you are back…..love your yarn and ideas!!

23. Cara January 16, 2014 at 3:33 am - Reply

Oh Chandi
    That sounded amazing. I am living vicarious through your posts of warm sand and sunny days! So happy for you. Be happy together!!
    Cara

24. Amy June January 16, 2014 at 3:35 am - Reply

My hubby and I LOVE Maui…..So happy that you got to experience the most relaxing place on earth. According to ME! Thanks for the tips on the wedding coordinator, my co-worker is looking for one and wants to be married on the beach. Did you purchase the Maui company lotion? I just ran out and it’s yummy… guess another trip is in order!

P.S. you were a beautiful bride!

25. Suzie Ledger January 16, 2014 at 3:37 am - Reply

Absolutely Beautiful! Thank you for sharing and inspiring. Best of love and life to you and your groom.

26. Nancy Eriksen January 16, 2014 at 3:54 am - Reply

Looks like a wonderful was had by all (especially the two of you!). So glad all your dreams came true and that your future is bright and VERY sunshiny!

27. Debbie January 16, 2014 at 4:00 am - Reply

Sounds like a wonderful time. So, happy to hear you had a beautiful wedding on the beach.

28. naomi January 16, 2014 at 4:35 am - Reply

So happy for you and your hubby!! Congrats!! Happy Maui was amazing for n you.guys!! Hope I can get there one day!! Loved your pics!! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to what you.have in store for us!!:))

29. Kathy Richards January 16, 2014 at 4:42 am - Reply

Oh ,how I wish I had gotten married on the beach. I have always wanted to go to Hawaii. So happy for the 2 of you. Love all the photos….you looked amazing in your wedding gown! I will want to see more wedding photos! 🙂

30. Eleanor McArthur January 16, 2014 at 4:50 am - Reply

Pictures and descriptions were fantastic. Enjoyed every bit of it. So happy for you and your new husband. I follow your site all the time and have ordered yarn a few times. Many blessings to you both and thank you for sharing. Hugs!!

31. Denise January 16, 2014 at 5:30 am - Reply

Beautiful Chandi! Were you the only ones there for your wedding? Did your parents, siblings etc… go? So what is your new last name? How exciting!

32. Mona Griffin January 16, 2014 at 2:59 pm - Reply

Maui, Rainbow Isle, is so easy to enjoy. I lived up in Kula for a short time, near the octagonal church up there on Kula Highway which you can see from the valley. You trip brought back so many memories to me. I had forgotten about the expansive Banyan tree. This refreshed my memory. Did you go to the ice cream parlor just behind the bench you were sitting on? (At least that is where it used to be).
    Haleakala: a place to begin to sense the majesty of creation. I wish you have been able to see it on a full moon night at the darkest part of the night. The crater is large enough to put New York City in it. The night we saw it, the clouds were below us in the crater but reflecting light up to us. Texas stars are pipsqueaks compared to Haleakala stars on a full-moon night.
    Paia: Movie stars would hang out there. Almost every time I got over there, I would see one. The locals protect them from touristers and make sure they will not be approached. Still it was neat to see some in the antique shop and other stores along the highway.
    I could go on and on. It was a magical time when I lived on Maui.
    I’m glad you were able to enjoy it.
    I occasionally saw full-circle rainbows from my porch. I saw a double full-circle once. I saw a triple one time on my way to Paia.
    I hope you are planning on going back.

33. Wanda January 16, 2014 at 6:15 pm - Reply

The pics are so beautifull that my mind travels to Maui without moving a muscle. A perfect solution b/c my body hurts like he** due to CRPS. Look it up to find more info.

Thanks for letting us join in your luck and fun.

Again congratulations on your marriage and your lovely hubby!

All my love,

Wanda

34. Darlene Bolyea January 16, 2014 at 6:34 pm - Reply

Congratulations on your marriage. I can see many colour inspirations will come from your beautiful pictures.

35. Marie Biswell January 16, 2014 at 10:43 pm - Reply

A total dream! Congratulations on you Mrs & to your Mr !

36. Allison January 17, 2014 at 1:07 am - Reply

Happy for you both, Maui looks fantastic!

37. Nina January 17, 2014 at 2:29 am - Reply

You two are a beautiful couple. All the best!

38. Mary-Joyce January 21, 2014 at 2:27 am - Reply

Many happy wishes to you both! Thanks for sharing your gorgeous pictures. Beautiful place & you were both just glowing. May you always have this much happiness! :O)

39. Christina (Tina) Tinkelenberg Williamson January 23, 2014 at 4:28 pm - Reply

Congratulations on your wedding. The
    Pictures were stunningly beautiful!! You
    Were and are such a beautiful bride. May
    You and your husband have a truly blessed
    And wonderful life together.
    Tina

40. Eleonora January 27, 2014 at 11:54 pm - Reply

Hello Chandi, I just re-read your wedding trip. Awesome! I wish you and Tim all the happiness a life time can bring. I would love you buy your yarn, I feel your enthusiasm, unfortunately I have too much myself, I just read your blog on the Stockholm Scarf. I would love to be in Alaska working along side you, you are so inspiring, and the video at the end (I’ve seen it before), awesome as well, I can see you love God. Your writing is so inspirational I can’t wait to see the next one. I am knitting and weaving my yarn into scarves and blankets to give to those in need, or friends and families having new babies. I wish you all the best, love, Eleonora
    ellymae53 on Ravelry

41. Michelle February 1, 2014 at 5:49 pm - Reply

Thank you so much for sharing those gorgeous pictures. You were an absolutely stunning bride! My brother got married at the Chapel at the Grand Wailean Hotel. OMG…absolute perfection. I have never been to such a wonderful tropical paradise. I am so thankful he chose to do a destination wedding. We did the Haleakala bike tour, the beauty of being above the clouds when the sun rises is undescribable! I watched all of your you tube videos this morning and can’t wait to get started learning how to knit. Thank You!

42. TerryLee February 7, 2014 at 12:12 am - Reply

Hello Chandi

So happy for you and your now husband the very best in life. Enjoy, be happy , content, listen , feel, share keep talking your marriage will last for ever. You both look so happy and make a beautiful couple.
    The very best to you both.
    TerryLee

43. Toni April 28, 2014 at 10:44 pm - Reply

I am a little late reading this but so happy for you, I started watching your How to Knit video which I have watched at least 10 times. I am trying to learn to knit and am relatively proficient at casting on. (Woo hoo) After reading your story, i am so glad that you are doing what you love and that you found someone to share your life.

i am sure if I watch your video a few more times I will get it right. lol

Toni

44. Joni January 20, 2017 at 3:41 pm - Reply

Beautiful!! Love the dress, love the pictures, beautiful couple : -)