A Finished Object – “Simplest Sweater” Knitted Pattern

simplest sweater knitting pattern

by Chandi on August 28, 2013

I finished this sweater in no time flat! Practically. And loved every minute of it.

simplest sweater pattern free

PATTERN: Simplest Sweater on Ravelry.

YARN: 3 skeins of my Superwash Merino Wool in Worsted Weight, colorway Milky Way Galaxy. It might be sold out by the time you read this, but check back often as I list new colors every few days!

NEEDLES: US Size 10 for the body, US Size 9 for the sleeves.

MODIFICATIONS:

•I opted for 1×1 ribbing instead of letting the edges curl like the pattern called for. I don’t usually like that curled look, so just did a few rows of k1,p1 around. I’m learning also I prefer a twisted rib (where you knit into the back of the stitch to “twist” it and create a tighter ribbing..I don’t really like the look of the “big” ribbing I did on this sweater. It just feels a little chunky to me. Also, I wish I had gone down to smaller needles to do the ribbing… live and learn).

•Also, I ignored the pattern for the sleeves and just kept knitting, trying it on, knitting, trying it on, thus creating sleeves that fit perfectly.

simplest knitting sweater pattern photo

NOTES:

• The size I made was the 34, which was free. I think you have to purchase any other size. It’s currently just $1.99. I never mind paying for patterns because it provides money for the designers and lemme tell ya, designing is a LOT of work. Yeesh.

• This was a super quick knit. A beginner could totally do it and love it. It’s just stockinette stitch really with some increases. Not sure how to do the make ones the pattern calls for? Here’s a link that might help.

•This is knit from the top down, you take off some stitches for the sleeves, and then once finished with the body, you go back and pick up the sleeves one at a time and work those. Easy. A pretty standard top-down hand-knit sweater pattern.

•This yarn stretches upon blocking (wetting and pinning into place to dry) so keep that in mind. DO a gauge swatch first, BLOCK IT and make sure you know how many stitches per inch you get. This is so crucial, or you’ll end up with a sweater that’s the wrong size and all that work will be lost. Unless you have a big family and you’ve got somebody in every size. Then someone can wear it!

•I wore it Sunday and it’s already down into the 50′s here and my arms were cold. Yikes. I think I will start doing 7/8th sleeves instead of 3/4.

•I REALLY, really wish I had shaped the body more. My waist is my best feature and I just pretty much knit straight down instead of tapering it in. Boo. But I blocked it to stretch it out longer, and it looks okay.

simplest knitting sweater pattern for free

All in all, the pattern is GREAT. I learned some things I’ll do for my next pullover, like the twisted ribbing for the edges, shape the waist more, etc. But I will wear this! And I LOVEEE the color.

simple knitted sweater pattern

You can see the extra fabric here, which bunches up if I don’t pull the sweater down:

easy knitted sweater pattern

OKAY! In other news… I am still a busy bee with wedding plans. It’s in a couple months, and I just realized today that a designer dress can take 4-6 months to arrive. YIKES! So much for that. I don’t have that kind of time.

But I was drooling over, gushing, gaping, gasping at eye-balling this dress (and yes, Tim has seen it already… I know that’s not traditional but I don’t care because he’s the fashion and photography expert and I know very little about this kind of thing and I’d rather he at least say yay or nay):

maggie sottero juliette dress

Is it not GORGEOUS!? I think so. It’s the Juliette dress by Maggie Sottero. DROOOOOL. At first I was going for a SUPER simple dress, as it’s going to be on the beach. But then I thought, why not get something gorgeous and sumptuous if that’s what I really want? So I’ll keep you updated.

I probably won’t end up getting this exact one, though, as I can’t seem to find it anywhere for IMMEDIATE purchase.

I am wanting to literally have everything done, planned, paid for, ready in 1 month. YAY! Sounds good anyways.

We’ll see how it goes.

But… I’ve also already contacted 10 different wedding planners in Hawaii, have almost decided that I want to be on the Big Island, but possibly Maui, and it’s probably going to be all white. Woo hoo! Maybe with some black if I CAN get this dress.

I just can’t thank you enough for the help and comments on my last blog post, crying out for help. It made ALLLL the difference, really!

My Next Project:

I’m nearly finished with my next project, the Shapely Boyfriend Cardigan by Stefanie Japel:

shapely boyfriend sweater pattern

It just needs the ribbing worked around the collar and front and then I’ll do another post telling you all about it!

Okay, well, have a good one!  I hope you enjoy this day for all it has to offer. :D

XOXOXO

About the author

Chandi Hi, I'm Chandi! I'm a self-professed lover of all things yarn. I'm an avid knitter, crocheter, wool dyer, fleece and roving spinner and occasional felter! I offer beautiful, inspiring, hand-painted yarns and deliver the best of all yarn-related tutorials I can on my blog.

{ 26 comments… read them below or add one }

Lola Williams August 28, 2013 at 10:21 pm

I love the sweater and the wedding dress is to die for. That would look so sweet on you. You have a darling figure and can wear anything and it would look good on you.

Kristen August 28, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Don’t know if this will help with your dress issue, but I used to work for a bridal shop that sold that brand. They DO typically take 6 months, but if the shop is willing to call the company, in some cases the dress manufacturer does have some made that they can ship right away. It helps if you are sample size, which is I think an 8 bridal/6 “real.” But gowns can be taken down in size too, so if all you can get is an 8 and you need something smaller, it could possibly be done by a reliable bridal seamstress. Also, other companies may do their own versions of this style, and might offer rush orders. Good luck!

Rikki August 28, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Gorgeous wedding gown. No need to go traditional if you find something that makes your drool and something that you love.
Congrats on your engagement. Have fun planning your wedding!!!!

Dolores August 28, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Chandi,
You look great in everything you wear, btw do you knit all day? I think I rip out more than I knit. You are such a pretty girl and I pray for all the happiness you can handle:)

Lori J. Thorne August 28, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Love the color of your sweater! It’s beautiful! Does the pattern for the sweater come in larger sizes? I need a size 42 bc of my tummy!

Freda August 28, 2013 at 10:25 pm

The sweater is gorgeous……BUT the wedding dress is even more gorgeous! You would look beautiful. So excited for you!

Michelle Derus August 28, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I’ve been following your “yarn fest” on FB for awhile. First time seeing your blog. I’m getting married on the beach in Belize in March and I know what you’re saying about the simple vs sumptuous dress. Do whatever YOU want. We were planning a traditional wedding at first because this is no. 2 for both of us and we didn’t really have weddings before. (we met at 14 in Italy, dated through highschool and two years of college. Broke up-my fault and literally married the next people we dated. Fast forward 25 years later..we’re both miserable, divorcing and find each other on FB. We’ve been together for three years now and are immensely happy!) sorry to ramble but it is a good story, right?
So, once we started planning the wedding it was like everything was about making the guests happy so we dumped that plan and are going to a private island and getting married on the beach.
I still haven’t found ‘that’ dress but I love the one you have picked. I hope you can find it in time. Love Maggie Sotoro!
Good luck!!
Also, the big island is beautiful! Lots of waterfalls. So is Maii…maybe get married atop Haleakela? Peace, Love and Understanding

naomi August 28, 2013 at 10:41 pm

That wedding dress is breathtaking!! If you find it, buy it!!! Love the sweater as well!!!

Mary August 28, 2013 at 11:16 pm

The sweater look great. There are no words for the dress except its gorgeous and would look great on you. You do inspire us all especially me I am almost finished with my cowl and now that my 6 year old granddaughter wants me to make her one. Thank you for all that you do to inspire us………….

Pam Emerson August 28, 2013 at 11:17 pm

I love the sweater. I am trying to work up the courage to try one. My grandma was a legend with knitting needles. I sure do miss her, she would have been my biggest cheer leader, although my mom (gma’s daughter) is there to cheer me on. The dress is gorgeous, good luck with your search & happy knitting

linda August 28, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Another Great knit by you, the sweater really suits you n looks great with the Belt, Love the Wedding Dress, why not find a good seamstress/dressmaker, & Have your dress Hand made, mind you could wear a Bin liner & Look Fab lol, Wishing you & Tim Health & Happiness, on your Big Day :)

Sharon Keller August 28, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Love the sweater, love the gown. You look so pretty in blue and I love the style and the way it fits on you, it’s perfect. Can’t wait to see your second sweater finished. You and your gorgeous yarn inspire me!
I know your wedding day will be amazing! The dress is so unique, and I can see it on you. You are so blessed to have the love of someone so special to spend your life with. I wish you happiness always Chandi :)

Linda Knisley August 29, 2013 at 12:27 am

I love the sweater! I think I’m going to have to buy that pattern, since I need a larger size to accommodate the girls.

The wedding dress is absolutely stunning, and you will be such a beautiful bride, no matter what you wear :)

Thank you for all the tips and advice on the sweater – I have some worsted weight waiting for the dye pot, so I have to decide what color is calling my name.

Have a great day, Chandi!

Myrna Pouyatt August 29, 2013 at 12:44 am

I think you did a super job on the Simplest Sweater. I like the ribbing thing you did. I didn’t do that on mine. So I did a little crochet edging on the sleeves and bottom. Not in love with it. I’ll wear it around the house this winter. Your’s is super cool, love the colors.

Phyllis August 29, 2013 at 2:00 am

The sweater is beautiful. I love the colorway. The wedding dress is pretty. I’ve never seen one like that. I like the way the fabric flows, drapes and swirls around.

Laura August 29, 2013 at 2:42 am
Laura August 29, 2013 at 2:49 am

You should have the dress you love. This is a size 6 so I’m guessing a but large on you, but a good seamstress can make it fit you like a glove! Congratulations! You will look beautiful no matter what you wear. :)

Steen Hagin August 29, 2013 at 4:42 am

Hi Chandi! Great sweaters! Thanks for the tips on simplest sweater, as I’m working on it right now!
The gown is amazing, and you would look fabulous in anything…that truly is a piece of art. One thing that is purely practical but no one ever seems to tell you when you are getting a wedding dress…you will have to pee at some point, and that will require a good deal of help or having to take the dress off altogether! (Just talking from experience) tee hee! The things we don’t really think about until the moment is upon us!
I wish you lots of love and have a great time planning!
Christine

Linda August 29, 2013 at 4:57 am

Love the sweater! It looks wonderful on you.
Hope you make more of this color, 3 skeins of sock wt? Won’t make a sweater!
Love that gown, and hope you can find it, it reminds me of the ocean waves and currents!

Clara August 29, 2013 at 5:01 am

You are right! After I wiped the drool off my laptop I could write this! That dress is absolutely stunning! And both your sweaters are cute too!

Ginny August 29, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Chandi, not for nothing but do you ever eat???? I know you said you gained weight
on your vacation, but where is it? Besides that, the dress IS gorgeous and you would look beautiful in it….and I wish I could just pick up some knitting needles and get a sweater done in no time.

Marti August 29, 2013 at 3:08 pm

The dress is stunning, I hope you find the dress. I want to share a web site with you called Positively Beautiful, for color inspiration. Everytime I see the website I think of you, there are are a lot of subtle and intense colors you’ll go crazy over. Happy hunting.

Laurie August 29, 2013 at 4:13 pm

As someone who has been both a caterer and wedding planner, honestly anything that you love works. Personally I think that dress is “you” and it will be beautiful on a beach.

I had 7 months before my wedding when I ordered my dress. They said it would be here in around four months and it arrived two weeks before. Thankfully it needed very little altering and I was able to do it myself. They gave me a partial refund for the “inconvenience”. I wish you much better luck with yours.

I am so happy for you. This is an exciting time.

TerryLee August 29, 2013 at 8:08 pm

WOW Chandi you are so tiny could spit through you, lol the sweaters are beautiful and the wedding dress is out of this world gorgeous. Happy Wedding and wishing you both all the happiness in the world.

TerryLee Diemert

Carol Strongin August 30, 2013 at 12:32 am

How do you try on your sweaters as you work? I had to transfer all my stitches onto waste yarn, try it on then put them all back on the needle. Such a pain!!! Is there a better way?

Chandi August 31, 2013 at 2:35 am

I use long enough circulars that I can just try it on without transferring to scrap yarn. :D