New! Reversible Ribbed Crocheted Scarf Pattern

how to crochet scarf

by Chandi on February 2, 2012

ღ ღ ღ

New! Reversible Ribbed Crocheted Scarf Pattern

Here is another cool pattern for ya! It’s easy. It’s quick. And yet eye-catching. Perfect!

I stood by my dad’s wood pile and just loved it as a backdrop:

20120202-094628.jpg

So, as promised in the previous post showing off my gorgeous hand-spun yarn process, here is the super cool, funky and awesome crocheted scarf pattern! I promise it is quite easy and even a beginner can do it. I really adore patterns that look really neat but are very simple and almost mindless. My favorite! So let’s get started.

Ravelry Link

Yarn: Any Worsted Weight, 2 different colors, approximately 150-200 yards of each color

•For color 1, I used my own hand-spun.

•For color 2, I used my Juicy Bounce Sock Yarn (none available for sale at the moment) that I dyed in a clear denim blue shade, held double (since it is a fingering weight).

Hook: US Size J

Gauge: Not terribly important here, so don’t stress over it.

Abbreviations: Hdc=half double crochet

Let’s Begin.

ROW 1:

•Color 1: Chain 250 (or as long as you want your scarf to be).

•Skip the first 2 chains and hdc into next stitch and in every chain across.You should end up with 248 hdc. Turn your work.

ROW 2:

•Color 2: Attach the second color and chain 1. *Hdc into the back loop only of the hdc in the row beneath. Continue from * to end of row.
TIP: If you tend to have “wiggly,” uneven sides to anything you crochet, just count and make sure you still have the same number of hdc (248 on every row).

•Repeat the previous row 20 times, changing colors each row.

Finishing: Weave in all the ends. Block if desired.

This pattern is so cool because it’s reversible! One side looks one color, while the other side is a different color! So impressive, yet so easy!

20120202-094621.jpg

I’ve been doing a little shopping while in the south (there’s not much shopping in AK), so I’m showing off my new navy vest and skirt. Plus I found my old butterscotch Ugg boots! YAY!

20120202-094721.jpg

20120202-094728.jpg

To wear the scarf, I have it wrapped around twice and then pinned in the front:20120202-094738.jpg

And if you’re wondering, the pin is my sterling silver dolphin pin I purchased at a yarn shop. It’s perfect for all my scarves and shawls and cowls.

I’ll be showing another version of this crochet scarf in contrasting colors, because this is technically reversible and it looks different on each side, but you can’t really tell with these similar colors.

If you have any questions or anything is unclear, let me know! I hope you enjoy!

Peace and Light!

About the author

Chandi Hi, I'm Chandi! I'm a self-professed lover of all things yarn. I'm an avid knitter, crocheter, wool dyer, fleece and roving spinner and occasional felter! I offer beautiful, inspiring, hand-painted yarns and deliver the best of all yarn-related tutorials I can on my blog.

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

Rowena May 6, 2012 at 8:01 am

Hi there – love this pattern, have been desperately looking for something to make my brother for his birthday – this will be perfect!
Thanks!! :-)

Chandi May 19, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Glad you like it! Thanks for visiting the site!

Nisha-Anne June 15, 2012 at 7:27 am

Awww, I adore this look but for some reason the reversal isn’t showing up … It is my first time switching back and forth between two colours so maybe I’m doing that wrong. Should I be trapping the dropped colour within the hdcs? Or carrying it on the outside of the stitch so it looks like a loose line? Heeeeellllppp … :(

Chandi June 15, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Not to worry! I’m happy to help. At the end of each row, you will want to cut that color and attach the new color. To do this, before working your very last pull through to complete the final hdc for that row, cut the current color, pick up the new color and pull it through to complete the last hdc. Then turn and begin the next row with the new color. Do this at the end of every row.

Also, after you turn the work and are ready to begin the next row, make sure you are going into the back loop, meaning the loop that is farthest away from you after you have turned the work. This will help the rows to “pop” out more. If you are working into the stitch closest to you after you’ve turned the work, you’ll get a flatter look.

I do so hope this helps! Please let me know!

~C.

Nisha-Anne June 15, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Ohhhhh I’m supposed to cut! *foreheadsmack* Clearly I was overthinking it. That didn’t even occur to me. *lol*

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain it so clearly, Chandi. I so appreciate the kindness of your reply. Not all designers are so gracious. :p

Chandi June 15, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Haha!! You are so funny! Yes, and I’m sorry if I didn’t explain that clearly.

I am SOOOO happy to help! You are most welcome. Have a BEAUTIFUL DAY! :-)

irin February 3, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Thank you! It was driving me crazy why it didn’t look like yours. Now I love it :)

Sharon Powers September 21, 2012 at 12:28 am

Just wanted to say also- that you make lovely items; and very nice of you to share this scarf pattern. I am new to crochet, but I hope I can make this…248 chains? How do you ever keep track??? LOL- I have a lot to learn…..Thanks for sharing-

Chandi September 21, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Oh, thank you, Sharon!

I don’t think it’d matter too much if the count was off. :D Glad you like the pattern!

Monica December 4, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Hi there!
I’m so excited to find this pattern. I think it is perfect for a mens scarf…don’t you? I am nervous to make my brother something he will find to be “girly”!
Not to sound like a dingdong (which can’t be prevented with the following question, I’m quite sure!), when you say “cut” at the end of each row, you mean to literally cut it with scissors or is that a crochet term I haven’t heard of? I just hate having so many loose ends in a work bc I feel like that is more opportunity for it to fall apart! Ha
Thanks so much!

Chandi December 4, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Hi, Monica!

Yes, you actually cut the yarn at the end of the rows and weave in the resulting loose ends. Leave a good amount, like 5 or 6 inches to make sure it doesn’t work its way loose and unravel. But as soon as you get the ends all woven in, they’ll be more than secure. This way you don’t have wiggly loose loops traveling up the sides of your work by carrying the yarn up. :D Hope this helps!

Laura January 3, 2013 at 6:51 am

OMG I love this! HDC are my favorite stitches to use they look great on this scarf! Do you have pics of what each yarn looked like before you made this? Sorry to be a pain in the butt I’m just super curious :P I just found you I love the yarn and what you are making with it. I LOVE dying yarn but I am more of a “pro” with fabric. I love doing both and this is very inspiring :)

Sue Ellen Jackson July 11, 2013 at 12:45 am

I love yarn! I love Expression Fiber Arts yarn! I would love to win this month or next or next…..

Lahna November 19, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I’m so happy I found this pattern! I’ve been trying to figure out how to make my baby brother (he’s 6’4″, but he’s the baby!) a scarf to match his favorite hat. This will be perfect & it’ll keep me busy on my flight out to see him!!
Thank you for sharing!

Chandi November 20, 2013 at 11:09 pm

You are welcome! Enjoy!

Sara abdrabbo November 24, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Hi there!! This pattern is so beautiful! I already have done two rows of hdc and two different colors. It’s looking flat and I’m not sure if its going to turn out reversible. I know you have said go into the back loop farthest from the where you turn ur work. Is that the stitch after the two chains? Also, how do I know I have turned my work correctly each time? Thank you sooo much for ur help:)

Chandi November 27, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I have found it doesn’t matter which way I turn the work, just so long as I do it consistently each time. When I say work into the loop farthest from you, I mean, once you have turned your work, work into the back loops only of each stitch across (not the front loops as well, like you normally do). I hope this helps!

Julie December 4, 2013 at 3:49 am

I am confused about finishing a row and turning after the first row of hdc; do you crochet a final hdc in top of the turning chain on the previous row? Thank you so much, I want to make this for my son, it’s a beautiful pattern.

Anja March 22, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Hi Chandi,

you did it … amongst others of course…but one of your creations helped me certainly on the way. On the way to be inspired, and follow my dream! I do crochet since about 1.5 years and a two sided ribbed scarf following your instructions was one of my Xmas presents last year. And my brother loves it. In the moment I am compiling all my crochet projects into a webpage, and voila there are actually plenty. So thank you very much and maybe you want to have a peek at my page, too!?
Keep on doing your inspirations. Great work! I’ll look in again soon.

Best wishes,